Internation Driving Permit in HK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Internation Driving Permit in HK

Hello,

Is the Internation Driving Permit valid to use in Hong Kong? I currently have it along with my Canadian Drivers License and was wondering if this would be sufficient for me to drive a private car in Hong Kong. Does it apply to rental cars as well?

Thanks,

If you are a visitor (or short term resident) then I believe that your Canadian driving licence is sufficient in itself.

If you are a resident intending to stay for more than 12 months then neither is OK - you need to get a HK Driving Licence, which you can do in directly with your Canadian one just by filling in a form and paying the fee ($900 I think).

Transport Department - Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders

Within the foldout part of your international drivers licence, it should have a list of countries/cities where the licence is recognised. It should list the Peoples Republic of China as being a non valid country, with a second mention relating to the HKSAR, where it will be valid.

Last edited by Skyhook; 20-04-2009 at 10:41 AM.

True, but, in principle at least, IDPs are never valid in the country where the holder is resident. (They are not a licence - they are merely a translation into international format of the underlying licence from the country where you are resident and which issued your licence.)

IDP = waste of paper. If you come from one of the countries HK recognizes, you can get a HK driver license with no test, just fill in the form and pay the fee. If your origin country is not on the list, the IDP doesn't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    True, but, in principle at least, IDPs are never valid in the country where the holder is resident. (They are not a licence - they are merely a translation into international format of the underlying licence from the country where you are resident and which issued your licence.)
    but it seems the OP (who's location is Canada) is asking about the validity, in HK, of his current IDP obtained in Canada...which would then make it valid in Hk...but yes, getting the HKDL is a simple cash transaction if you have held a valid licence in Canada (in this case) within the last 3 years

http://www.td.gov.hk/public_services...nce_/index.htm

An international driving permit is fine for you to drive in Hong Kong, providing you do not have a HK ID card. But once you have an ID card, you are considered a resident, thus need a HK licence.

I was always thought it was fine to drive on a foreign licence if you've been here less than 12 months (website says visitors can drive on intl. licence and definition of visitor is "arrive in HK other than to take up residence for a period less than 12 months"). The focus though, when you talk to the department, is on the "taking up residence" (via an ID card) rather than the length of time you intend taking up residence for...

Fortunately it is very easy to convert to a HK licence - only takes a week and not tests or exams.

Quote Originally Posted by timklip
    but it seems the OP (who's location is Canada) is asking about the validity, in HK, of his current IDP obtained in Canada...which would then make it valid in Hk...
    Not if his underlying Canadian driving licence is no longer valid. My understanding of the international rules on this is that when resident in a country only that country's driving licence is valid there.

let's put it another way (maybe OP can confirm it)...he is living in Canada with a valid Can. DL and IDP (which I gather from his statement "I currently have it along with my Canadian Drivers License...) and wants to know if the IDP is valid in HK when he comes here...the answer would be "Yes, it is..."

what you're saying may be true, but isn't relevant to his situation, as I understand it ...OP?

Last edited by timklip; 21-04-2009 at 09:04 PM.

That's why in the first sentence of my first response in this thread I said:

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    If you are a visitor (or short term resident) then I believe that your Canadian driving licence is sufficient in itself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast