bringing valium to HK

Closed Thread

bringing valium to HK

Gonna leave Thailand for HK and want to take some (about 30 tablets) barbiturates (valium) with me for genuine medical reasons, although I bought them over the counter so have no proof that that’s what theyre for. Is this illegal to take them into hong kong or out of thailand or what? Any advice is much needed. Thanks

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Should not be a problem is you have a few tablets and are not prone to excessive sweating in air conditioned arrival halls.

I believe that this would be illegal if you do not have a valid prescription on your person.

I have seen verious warning signs at Lowu (Luo hu) border crossing mentioning these types of drugs. And yes, Valium is a dangerous and highly addictive drug. In most countries, it is classified as such.

However, it is not likely that you would be searched, unless you looked suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by petrm:
    However, it is not likely that you would be searched, unless you looked suspicious.
    This is where kombuchakid's comment fits in

I'd be more worried at the other end- Bangkok Hilton? Jail first, questions later.

I have a friend in Abu Dhabi who was jailed for trying to take nutmeg out of teh country- even though he bought it at a local supermarket and it still had the pricetag on it! It took all the lawyers at Halliburton to get him out after over a week!

Don't worry. We won't hang you. We'll just throw you into the jail.

cheers,
    decided not to bring any, not worth the risk

It happened to me with drugs with not prescribtion...they just let me stand there for 3 hours to examine what they were...meaning the risk of missing the flight and jail is on you....They believe that as long those are drugs, you need to have proof...thats all

Luckily after examination, they found out my drugs are supplements...they let me go...imagine if there was no way for them to know what kind of drugs they are, i will be in jail to wait until they got the proof...it can be days...who knows

Don't be naive to think that they just gonna throw it away...