Reviews of Ice House, Manhattan Heights, and Olympic Terrace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I lived in MH for six months. I was very pleased with it. There is a shuttle bus every 20 minutes or so in rush hour, 30-40 non rush hour that takes you to IFC in about 10 minutes. I rarely took cabs any farther than IFC, which was a quick dash of $30HK and < 10 minutes by cab.

Buses and trams are extremely plentiful, but I rarely took them as it was a pretty long trip. (Trams and Buses 'loop' at Kennedy Town back into Central) I did go to Wan Chai occasionally via cab (White Stag was my 'local'), with the only real delay being race night or rush hour. Coming back from Wan Chai to Manhattan Heights is usually painless. On the freeway and voom. I think Wan Chai to MH was $50, a bit higher from Times Square.

I kind of liked living "out of it" a bit, not in the hustle downtown and a little more relaxing environs of Kennedy Town. That said, there isn't much to eat unless you like really authentic cooking (save for a McDonalds).

The building is quite nice. Very attentive doormen, nice workout room, huge pool. Building is a mix of expats and HK'ers. Most are pretty friendly, with a few having families. Doormen will stop your Filipino maid and many Asian-faced guests at the door for identification, but gwailos walk in usually unquestioned (sad, but true).

Rooms facings the water have a nice view of Kowloon, but also have the buzz of the Macau hydrofoils. Bathrooms are modern. Kitchens a bit small, but it is Hong Kong. One thing I did note is that some kitchens catch a bad air current from Kennedy town and if you open the window, sometimes you don't like the odor. I would recommend checking the "smell" when you look at a place by opening the windows.

I was on the 40th floor and later the 21st. 40th was a bit more quiet, though a siren or loud truck horn can make it up that high just as easily.

Cellphone reception (and wifi) is better on the Mountain side than the water view. In fact, water view apartments have spotty mobile phone service, regardless of carrier.

It would be nice to live on top of an MTR (what, four more years for Kennedy Town) but I still enjoyed my time at MH.

One more thing about MH, don't go through the leasing agent there unless you have to. There are several agents in the area that have MH properties available for a considerable savings over the official rate. I think I used Century Island agents or something like that....nice folks, though limited English. Century Island West

Address : No. 81, Belcher Street, G/F., Kennedy Town, Hong Kong
    Telephone : 28166222

Penguinsix, just wondering why you moved and if you found somewhere better?

Twinkle - It's desert town in the neighborhood so I don't think it's a good choice for that reason only.

I would describe the neighbourhood as just being very local - well you are in a different country so why not experience it!! Lots of chinese restaurants, lots of little shops, very busy - nothing bad, just different from Times Square as Times Square is more modern buildings and more designers shops.
    We are moving to Manhattan Heights in Sept. The only concern I have is transport - not being able to get on the shuttle bus as its too busy. I will let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle:
    wow, with all the above comments, I don't think MH will be a good choice........thanks. Any other good suggestions?
    What about the Belchers? http://www.athomeinhongkong.com/pok_fu_lam1_1.htm
    http://www.sallmannsres.com/properti..._belchers.html

We also bought a book called 'Setting up in Hong Kong' by Fiona Campbell. Its for Americans but its great and has info on schools, apartments etc etc.

JanyHK.

I moved from MH when I returned to the US. I spend extend periods of time in both the US and HK, so I won't be back for probably anothe six months or so. I probably will return to MH unless I find something 'interesting' (cheaper, cleaner and closer) somewhere else. I'd say it is my "safety place" when I come back if I can't try anything new.

As for the Shuttle Bus, there are times in rush hour when you might have to wait for the next one (10-15 minutes) because it is packed. Though if it is so crowded, usually people will split a cab to IFC ($30) which isn't bad split 4 ways.

Oh, there is a cab stand in front of the building which is nice. Almost always a cab there.

Great...thanks!

I would agree with Sazzy. The neighborhood is quite local and expats are still somewhat of a novelty it seems. Although they are present in MH I rarely saw and gwailos walking through Kennedy Town.

When we were choosing MH, I was a bit nervous about the transport issue, and there were a few times I would have like to have been closer to an MTR. But as my wife (and her friends who also lived in the building) said "we take a cab wherever we are going anyway so what's the big deal?" Though I have to admit there were times, usually when I was hankering for a burrito or some pasta or some other western food, that I wished I was on the elevator or closer in so I could pop out and grab something, rather than jump a cab to get my fix.

For what it is worth, I found the 'G' unit to be one of the better situated, with a view of the water and off in the distance Central.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2