HKID, please give me advise.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HKID, please give me advise.

I am not Chinese and I married with hong kong guy, my husband has Full HKID with three stars. But I have HKID with CO (It means C- the holder's stay in the HKSAR is limited by the Director of Immigration at the time of his registration of the card and O is born in another country), i am a holder of asian passport, not Chinese nor Hong kong which has visa of HK with 1 year ( previous conditions of stay) since we are married,
    But i and my husband wonder, can i get permanent ID card ? must live in HK for 7 years? of course we decided to live in HK forever, So why my HKID is limited by director of Immigration? We must go to Immigration before limited date ?
    What exactly does C mean ? I have not ROA and RTL, only CO ? what is difference between these? because I married or? ? ?
    can I work ?
    Please give me advise, Thanks so much all of you.

Yours sincerely
    NRN

As the foreign wife of a HK Permanent Resident you get a Dependant Visa. The Conditional bit on your HKID card is the Condition that you remain married to and dependant on your PR husband in order for your visa to be renewed. While that is the case you can renew you visa easily - after the first year renewals will be for 2 or 3 years at a time.

You may work, study and do anything else (legal) that you want whilst you are holding your Dependant Visa, without any further paperwork.

After you have been legally resident in HK for a continuous period of 7 years you may apply for Permanent Residence yourself.

thanks so much PDLM, It was quick, thanks again,
    Your information is very useful and much appreciated, I really wanna ask something again.
    First, I have to apply for my visa extension soon, as I am still not eligible for PR, After we married, we applied to HK Immigration 7th floor, and take my HKID on 8th floor in Wanchai Immigration, If i apply for my visa extension, which floor can I apply with what documents need???
    2, Can I apply visa of USA, Europe and Taiwan in Hong Kong with my own passport, ( I need these countries' visa )
    3. After 7 years completed, or i get PR, Would I have HK passport and can i change my nationality if I wish ? Can I live in my country and re-enter to HK when I wish ?
    sorry for so many questions,
    Also
    Thanks again and again.

1. See here. You need to complete ID91 to apply for the extension. Note g) on that form tell you the supporting documents, which are you and your husbands HKIDs, your passport, and the completed declarations on forms ID481A and ID481B that you and your husband's circumstances are unchanged from when you made the initial application. You take the application to the Extension Section on the 5th Floor of Immigration Tower.

2. Yes. The US Consulate website describes the procedure for there; my (Filipino) wife was granted a 10 year multi-entry with no difficulty within a few days. For Europe (Schengen zone) you can only get multi-entry visas of up to 6 months duration and you need to apply to the consulate of the country which will be the one where you spend most time during your trip. The details are generally on that country's consulate website. This process, in my experience, is much longer and more painful than getting a US visa - allow several weeks to get through it. For Taiwan I have no personal experience, but the Chung Hwa Travel Service website suggests that the process should be quite straightforward.

3. Your nationality does not change when you apply for PR. You would retain your previous nationality. However, you can choose to try to naturalise as a Chinese Citizen at any time (even, in principle, before you are granted PR). To do this you would have to renounce (give up) your previous nationality. Having said that I haven't heard of anyone successfully applying to naturalize as Chinese in Hong Kong who hadn't been here at least 7 years, so I'm not sure if such an application would have much chance of success. Moreover, if you did this then you would probably need a visa to visit or live in your home country (it depends which country it is and on their rules), but obviously as a HK/Chinese citizen you could live freely in Hong Kong.

Last edited by PDLM; 09-05-2009 at 07:34 AM.

wow. many thank you.

If i have any questions in the future, can I send message to you?
    You are welcome. Your informations are just what I need. Finally I got.

Warm regards
    NRN

Last edited by NRN; 09-05-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: wrong word

I'm happy to answer on the forums since that way the advice is there for people to find in future using Search.

Hello Dear, i need your help again,
    I want to stay in my country for 1-3 months as a dependent visa holder, How much day must be stay out of HK ? please advise about it?
    My husband said need to come in HK within 14 days, because of i am a dependent visa or HKID holder for married with HK man, how much day would be good come to HK ?

Thanks
    NRN< ;-)

You can stay out of HK as long as you want. However, when the time comes to renew your Dependant Visa then Immigration Department will need to be sure that you are still resident in Hong Kong. I honestly don't know what the criteria are for what constitutes "resident". Mrs PDLM (a Filipina with a Dependant Visa - I am a HK Permanent Resident) has spent a month or more outside HK and that certainly hasn't been a problem.

There certainly is not any requirement to return to HK within 14 days.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You can stay out of HK as long as you want. However, when the time comes to renew your Dependant Visa then Immigration Department will need to be sure that you are still resident in Hong Kong. I honestly don't know what the criteria are for what constitutes "resident". Mrs PDLM (a Filipina with a Dependant Visa - I am a HK Permanent Resident) has spent a month or more outside HK and that certainly hasn't been a problem.

There certainly is not any requirement to return to HK within 14
    days.

Thank you, you are correct .
    Posted via Mobile Device

to renew your visa in HK U need to have stayed atleast 180 days in a year

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast