club culture

Closed Thread

club culture

Hi again =)

i'm interested in learning a little bit about the "clubiness" of HK. An Australian friend of mine (who, by the way, never actually lived in HK) had heard that the expat social scene was very much tied into club membership.

i'm not gullible enough to believe one can't have a life without belonging to a club, but do wonder how significant membership is...

i suspect the answer ultimately boils down to "it depends on if you want to live like a local or an expat"... but not knowing the answer to this, i thought i'd throw the question out there.

coming from the US, i view club memberships as somewhat pretentious, but as an expat, i suppose could see the value.

thoughts?

thanks all!

-jTab

Definately a perk and not really essential if you're single, unless you need to entertain and impress clients. I also belive that I don't really want clients who need to be impressed and entertained at private clubs.

On the high end the American Club is decent and actually affordable for US passport holders. Then there are places like the Foreign correspondants club (very few journalist members) which is affordable and provides subsidsed food and a nice quiet place in central for a drink and dinner.

Paul

If you have a family with kids then some of the clubs provide a very good set of facilities (swimming, tennis, squash, gym, snooker, bowling, etc.) which are very attractive so long as you live fairly close and get good use out of them. Examples would be the HK Cricket Club or the HK Football Club (you don't need to play or even be interested in either cricket or football (soccer) to join, although it is cheaper if you join as a playing member).

However, if you are young and single then there is a very lively, loud and (frankly) expensive bar scene around Lan Kwai Fung and Wanchai for which no memberships are required (except to whichever is the trendy nightclub of the month).

There are also the business-focussed clubs such as the Hong Kong Club, and the China Club which attract Lawyers, Accountants and top businessmen, but which are very expensive try to keep their membership exclusive.

I believe there is also a very active Freemasonary scene in HK.

Personally, as a 40 year old with no kids I find the FCC is a good compromise - I don't need the facilities of the HKCC (and anyway it is a bit far away). The FCC has a small gym, bars, restuarants, pool table and live jazz twice a week. It isn't expensive (currently HK$5000 to join plus $950 per month, vs $100,000 to join and $1200 per month for the HKCC) and it is conveniently located for Central. It's a much nicer environemnt for me than most of LKF (which is very close by) - I prefer to drink in bars where the music is not so loud that I go home with a sore throat from having to shout to make myself heard.

I agree with Paul. Being a member of one of the smaller clubs, such as the FCC can be worthwhile as it does give you a great place to hangout away from the noisy bar crowd, offers some reasonable facilities and especially with the FCC, great food at reasonable prices.

It is also a good place (apart from Geoexpat of course) to meet other expats and locals that can help you to settle into your new home. Moving to a new country can be difficult and being a member of a club can make the transition much less traumatic.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

In FCC, what the the chances of a regular member being able to hobnob a good bit with foreign journalists based in, or coming in and out of , HK?

Paul

It's a small place and pretty well all the foreign journalists are members and/or frequent visitors. So they are certainly there - if you have interesting things to say (or you buy them lots of beer) then I'm sure they'll talk to you. It's a very informal club.

Guys, can I have the FCC address? What is the joining fees etc?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:

Thank you! But I am not a journalist and poorer than a beggar! Any other options?

Its the same the world over - if you want to join a club there are plenty, if you dont want that kinda focus to your social life then dont.

Dont forget that there are 'active' clubs, i.e yacht (sailing), sport (football etc) and the likes as well, not forgeting golf, though i've always found them more of a business/social focus than just an interest/ hobby.

There seem to be ample of both here, though personally im happy trying different places, though i can def see the attraction of a club for a bit of stability in your social calender...