newcomer with kids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

newcomer with kids

Hi all,
    I posted a message at Geobabies 5 days ago, but no one has replied. Anyone here have kids around ages 5 and 8? I am preparing applications for Amer Intl School, Intl Christian School, and possibly The Bradbury School. We are coming from American 3rd grade and kindergarten in Jan 06 and will be returning to US in Spring 07. Anyone have thoughts on American vs English curriculum?
    Husband will be working in Kowloon at the Metropolis building near Hung Hom station. We want short as possible commutes for work and school, so we are looking at Beacon Hill, Kings Park Hill, etc. Haven't looked near Bradbury school yet. Strictly internet research, haven't been over yet.
    I have read many of your threads and visited many websites that you have recommended to others, but would anyone in a similar situation be able to correspond with me personally? Any help will be appreciated!

There is a huge mental difference between the American and English education system so you could be in a shock if you go to Bradbury which is more relaxed, self-developing kind of education system. Very light homework and little formal assessment. Whereas the ICS is more heavy on the assessment/homework/guidance in comparison. My daughter was in ICS for kindergarten to grade 1 then Bauhinia (also ESF system similar to Bradbury) from year 3 to 5. She is ten now and will be in Beacon Hill starting this week. ICS is extremely good and highly recommended as all teachers are committed Christians and teaching posts are considered missionary posts as they earn far less than many international school teachers in HK. We only moved our daughter because we are from the UK.

On the accomondation side, as many parents will advise you, secure the school place first before deciding anything else. School buses for ICS go left, right and centre in HK because that's where their children live. ESF schools tend to have a catchment area so buses don't go as far. However, the school can give you a list of the areas their buses go so you will have a good idea.

Fix the children first 'cause they may not have the space for both of your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by PettsWood:
    ICS is extremely good and highly recommended as all teachers are committed Christians and teaching posts are considered missionary posts as they earn far less than many international school teachers in HK.
    Am I alone in finding this scary? Fanatical religion (which to me includes anyone who sees teaching as a subsidiary role to proselytising) has no place in schools. Haven't people learnt anything from the situations with the Middle East & Al-Qaeda? What you are describing is the Christian version of a Madrasah and there is a lot of effort going into shutting them down in various places in the world, so you would have to be completely hypocritical to support that and yet send your kids to a school as described here.
    Last edited by PDLM; 30-08-2005 at 10:41 AM.

Hi Jazzy,

I have two kids the same age as you. They go to the International Montessori School in Wanchai. The school is very small, American cirriculum but excellent.

With regards to your situation places for ESF schools are very tight. I know if I wanted to get my 5 year old daughter into an ESF school for the first year, I would have had to apply when she was four. I don't know if there are more spaces at the higher grade.

Bradbury has good reputation and I have a few friends whose kids go there.

Anyway good luck with the schools and welcome to Hong kong.

Last edited by shai; 30-08-2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: wrong infor

Thanks for all the info. I will look into the Montessori School. Does anyone have any experience with the American Intl School? Everyone I've talked to about school seems to avoid saying anything about it, but it is in a great location for us. What's wrong with it??

>> Am I alone in finding this scary?

Well, having been educated by Jesuits, I'm not scared.. actually a bit happy that people do commit to education.

They're hardly christian versions of madrasas ... (nice attempt at a wind up though), given that they operate in highly regulated systems where open dialogs exist between parents, teachers and children. The amount of dogma is actually pretty minimal if not non-existant.

A fair number of the missionary run schools accept that their mission is to educate and not convert.

We may be moving back to HK but this time with a 10 yr old, left when he was 2.5. Am thinking about the Aust Int School as it's the same cirriculum but am still looking into it and asking advice. Also we want to take our dog. Can anyone recommend an area to live where we may get a small yard or big terrace with good area to walk, we use to live in Happy Valley

townhouses

We are very interested in some of the areas around Shatin and Tai Po. My opinion is based on internet research, mostly on this site, but it seems to have bigger apartments, townhouses with small garden areas, more walking/biking paths, and cleaner air. Plus they are near the train for easy transportation. My husband leaves US on the 26th to find housing, school, etc, I will post his opinions then if you are interested.

International schools, ESF schools

Hi,
    I'm an American from northern California who is planning to relocate with my 13-year-old child, next year.
    I am interested in hearing from anyone who has a child/children in an international school (secondary level) or ESF, particularly Shatin College.
    I would appreciate hearing about your experiences with either school system and any advice about finding an appropriate school and preparing for our move abroad.

Please feel free to contact me]

Good day,
    Roberta

Last edited by KnowItAll; 14-09-2005 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Please click on the users nickname to send them a message. Email address deleted

Hello,

We are also looking for a house in the same area. Have you found anything, What are the range price for the rent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast