ID card if one parent is Chinese?

Closed Thread

ID card if one parent is Chinese?

Hi everybody! I'm a bit new to all this so apologies if the answer is already out there.
    I'm thinking of moving out to HK to look for work, and I heard that I may be able to get a HK id card because my mum is HK Chinese, although she doesn't live there anymore. I have a Brit passport, wasn't born in HK and never lived there. So, does anyone know if I can apply for an id card, and if so what are the advantages of having one? ie, am I entitled to stay and work?
    Thanks for any help you can give!

If your mom is (was) HK Chinese, then you may qualify for resident visa (of course ID card) and live and work in HK.

The best way is to study thoroughly the HK immigration website at http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/home.htm.

You may also want to e-mail the HK immigration people if you have any specific questions.

Thanks! I have tried looking on their website but maybe I just need to read it more carefully. I couldn't find anything specific to my case, or who is eligible for residency other than someone who has lived in HK for 7 years. I'll try emailing them.

According to the HK nationality laws, if your parents were born as Chinese citizens, then you qualify for China citizenship. In this case, you would have to renounce your UK citizenship as China does not recognize dual nationality.

Very possibly, you may also qualify for HK residency, but again, you should do your homework and get all the information directly from HK immigration and not depend on someone's (second-hand) opinion.

Hi, short answer to your questions:

1) Presumably you were born in the UK
    2) For you to automatically qualify as a Permanent resident in HK (or have the right to live and work in HK without being deported- same concept as Right of Abode in the UK)- when you were born, YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN A CHINESE CITIZEN. Whether you automatically qualify to be a PR in HK depends on your nationality.

3) Now, only your mother was a HK Chinese citizen wehn you were born. Assuming that one of your parents was settled in the UK or was a UK citizen AT THE TIME OF YOUR BIRTH, and YOU BECAME A UK CITIZEN (British citizen) AT THE TIME OF YOUR BIRTH--> you would be considered under Chinese nationality law to be British and NOT CHINESE.
    (Refer to the Nationality Law of the People's Republic Of China)

4) Consequently, you do not qualify for Chinese citizenship by virtue of your mother's Chinese nationality. Thus you do not have the right of abode in HK now.

5) However, you may like to apply for residence in HK. After living in HK for 7 years continuously, you may qualify to be a PR in Hongkong (with British nationality). If you wish, you may also apply for Chinese citizenship (through the HK Immigration Dept), but you'd have to give up your UK citizenship or any other foreign citizenships you hold.

I know for a fact that if your FATHER was born here then he would be entitled to permanent residency and a permament ID card. By descent you automatically get the same rights. With a permanent ID card you can come and go and work.
    As it is your mother who was born here I would suggest that you email the immigration department.

As far as I know, the nationality Law and the Basic Law only mention PARENTS, making no distinctions between father/mother.
    As stated in my earlier answer, whether you can have a HKPIC would depend on whether YOU (YOURSELF) is a Chinese citizen.
    Whether you acquire Chinese citizenship by virtue of "descent" from either of your parents would depend on the circumstances when you were born. pls refer to my earlier answer.

For more details, you may consult the HK Immigration Dept. you may also like to refer to the <<Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China>> (including the Interpretation/Explanation by the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress in 1996), and Article 24(2) of the Hong Kong SAR Basic Law.