Will I be able to get a mobile without HKID?

Will I be able to get a mobile without HKID?

I'm moving to HK at the end of July with my boyfriend who has a secondment with his employer. I don't have a job yet so am going to be treating it as a long holiday, do a bit of travelling in the region, basing myself in HK, and hopefully getting myself fixed up with a job once my industry starts to recover (would not have been a problem for me to get a sponsored visa 18mths ago). Anyway, I don't want to be using my UK mobile as the cost would be astronomical, so I was hoping to get an HK mobile (a Blackberry). However, I read somewhere that you have to have an HKID card. Is this true? Would I be able to get a "pay as you go?" and could I get a Blackberry on this basis?

Thanks

The deposit for non ID card holders is 2 or 3K. If you want a plan. The pay as you go cards are also pretty cheap and you don't need any ID
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by shri; 06-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.

We just bought pay as you go sim cards and put it into our mobiles and they worked! We didn't expect it to but thought it was worth trying so maybe it might work for a blackberry?

Ours were unlocked previously in the UK and are both Nokias

I can't get my current mobile unlocked (tried but they couldn't do it!) so I'll have to buy a new one anyway. Would a blackberry be hugely expensive without a contract?

Which phone do you currently have? And which blackberry would you be looking for in HK?

Currently have the Sony Ericsson Z610i on Orange, the unlock people said sometimes it's just not possible to work out the unlock code. It's pretty knackered now anyway, 2 yrs old, but I'd been holding out to get a new one so as now to sign up to a new contract here. Not sure which Blackberry I'd go for, but def not the one with a touch screen.

Blackberries over here in HK are pretty expensive, not sure its worth it unless its for business use.

It all depends on how much data you need and plans are priced accordingly.

I purchased a prepaid without a deposit or ID card. Just my passport. Then swapped it over to a paid account once my card came through and kept the phone number.

You don't need anything at all to purchase a prepaid SIM - you can just buy one in 7-11 or loads of other places.