moving to HK and clueless

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

moving to HK and clueless

Dear all,

I've just accepted to join design office in Tai Koo, starting mid-October and, apart from a few days wandering around Central and Wan Chai, and a brief trip to Kowloon, I know nothing about the whole HK living experience. I love its buzz though.

So...

First things first. I'll need a room in a flat fast.
    I've lived in London for a few years (Old St area, West Hampstead, Chalk Farm, Kentish Town) and LA (Chinatown, Brentwood, Marina del Rey), so i've done the rounds and always found a way to fit in.
    Can't say I loved my California experience - just can't stand the LA-induced isolation experience. But I did like SF just from visiting, u really don't need to drive, and it seems HK can offer me something similar.

If any of you guys can offer me some help adjusting in any sort of way, - areas i should search for, actual flat-share offers, tips about getting from A to B - I'd be glad to hear from you. Just drop me a line.

Best,

Manel

Smile

If any of you guys can offer me some help adjusting in any sort of way, - areas i should search for, actual flat-share offers, tips about getting from A to B - I'd be glad to hear from you. Just drop me a line.

Best,

getting from A to B is not at all a problem. MTRs, Taxi, Buses....thats great
    lots of expats meet on weekends, so u wont have problems in finding friends here.
    flat sharing question, may be someone else can help u

btw, welcome to HK

Have a look at the classified sections here - there are some flat shares. Also pick up the HK Magazine (a free weekly, get it from most coffeeshops and bars in HK) - their white pages classifieds cary flat shres as well.

Welcome to HK - you'll love it, and you won't have that looking over your shoulder thing when you walk home late at night (I used to live in Battersea - I remember it!)

Bollocks - I used to be able to type!

Hey
    I too am moving out in October - but early, so will be looking for all the same things. I have been told that it is best to get a service apartment first for a bit to suss out flat shares.
    I am from London too, and know what you mean about LA as I was there v recently thinking about moving there, from what I gather HK is a whole different kettle of fish and everyone is supper friendly (or those I have met so far!)
    Good luck!

Cheers Moriarty, I will definetely pick up the HK mag this Saturday.
    Do u have any suggestions of neibourhoods i should have a look for? Or avoid, for that matter? And this being my 1st time in HK, should I stick my search to the island? I mean, I don't want to find myself in a situation where it takes an 90 min to get to and from work

Thanks

Yassou Spirou,

If you are single I should stick to the Island - Mid-Levels & Happy Valley are the two most popular, and nearest to the nightlife.

No real places to avoid.

Yassou?

Kostas - you must know yassou - you're a Bubble aren't you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast