70k HKD / month enough ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's not entirely clear as to what the question is. The subject asks if it is sufficient (but doesn't specify what for), but the body text asks if this is in line with current expat pay.

It isn't possible to give a definitive answer to either question without a bit more information.

Which makes you wonder if the OP is worth that kind o' brass dunnit?

Ha ha, may s/he was just in shock!!!

The questions was not about if I am able to live with 70k+20k amount, because I am sure it's more than enough. However, nobody wants to sell one's expertise in discount price, right ?

So, my experience is mainly from non-managerial positions including experience from networking technologies such as CISCO. I have achieved CISCO CCNP and will soon take CCIE. The offered job role is from area of IT.

So someone is offering you HK$90K/month as a Cisco technician?

There's one born every minute...

I would estimate the going rate for the job to be well under half that, and I'm really quite surprised that Immigration would approve an Employment Visa since I don't think we are short of IT technicians in HK.

Last edited by PDLM; 27-07-2009 at 05:27 PM.

You say that but recently I engaged 5 agencies to provide me with Wintel and Unix SA / DBA's and also messaging guru's.

The response was poor with only a handful of CV's! Couldn't fill all the positions!

I was surprised, given that we are supposed to be in a recession etc.

I think we need a sticky that says "HK$6500 is enough. The rest is clover."

Theodosis..

I wish to ask a genuine question about your experience and qualifications.

I'm CCNA qualified, have been for nearly a year now. How many years had you been working in networking before you decided to take your CISCO exams? and then as a follow on question how long did you leave it before moving onto the next exam?

If you wish not to post your details on the forum, then please PM me and let me know if that would ok.

Welcome to Hong Kong by the way

For kenbo32: My cisco career started around 10 years ago. In the beginning I just studied CCNA with couple of books and worked almost four years before I took CCNP. Since that I have working with several networking technologies and areas related to that, including technologies used in gsm/umts packet core networks. I pretty much think that certification doesn't make one a professional, but it only opens some doors that gives opportunity to start learning and gaining experience. Finally, only thing that matters, is that how you really have performed in your duties. If you've performed badly with any highest level of technology certificate, you're worth nothing. And remember, network with your previous colleagues, manangers, etc. is exteremely important. The best jobs will always be found via good connections people connections. This is the way I have found my new job. :-)

I'm not considering myself as "just another cisco technician", but my job will be more like technical leadership of a team of networking professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by theodosis:
    For kenbo32: My cisco career started around 10 years ago. In the beginning I just studied CCNA with couple of books and worked almost four years before I took CCNP. Since that I have working with several networking technologies and areas related to that, including technologies used in gsm/umts packet core networks. I pretty much think that certification doesn't make one a professional, but it only opens some doors that gives opportunity to start learning and gaining experience. Finally, only thing that matters, is that how you really have performed in your duties. If you've performed badly with any highest level of technology certificate, you're worth nothing. And remember, network with your previous colleagues, manangers, etc. is exteremely important. The best jobs will always be found via good connections people connections. This is the way I have found my new job. :-)

I'm not considering myself as "just another cisco technician", but my job will be more like technical leadership of a team of networking professionals.

Good to hear!

I might begrudge you for the fact that you earn so much, but I respect anyone who can do what you've done.

I've got my CCNA.. and i'm reading up on the CCNP, CCDA and CISSP as i'm not too sure where to go now i've done it.

Good luck in your new role.