Moving to Hong Kong alone.... that sounds very depressing!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I'm single and moving to HK soon. I'm sure it will be fun. ;-)I

Anyone moved to Hong Kong - Asian looking - but not speak Chinese? I would guess that could be tough?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Anyone moved to Hong Kong - Asian looking - but not speak Chinese? I would guess that could be tough?
    That's me. Not really tough dealing with the locals, but it's kind of hard fitting in. You're a local on the outside but an expat on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by theodosis:
    I'm about to move to Hong Kong alone in October and really looking for forward that. I'm sure that living as single lafter 14 years relationship will be very exciting in HK. :-)
    Am in exactly the same situation after 14 years. I could not think of a better city to be single in!

Quote Originally Posted by chilicheese:
    That's me. Not really tough dealing with the locals, but it's kind of hard fitting in. You're a local on the outside but an expat on the inside.
    tell me about it, same situation here, either you can stick to being yourself or try fitting in...for me, it's always been a struggle trying to fit into their culture and lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by chilicheese:
    and given the large numbers of ABCs, BBCs, CBCs..for once there is a large population where I fit in! We're all caught between cultures and languages - I spend many nights laughing and discussing with my friends how our parents would embarass us when we were kids....

I do get the occasional remark " m sek gong chung men..." but hey, take it in a stride, there are so many positives to HK that few other countries in the world offer!

As an ABC, BBC, CBC, etc... imagine what our parents/grandparents went through when they first emigrated to the west? They probably faced MUCH MUCH more problems than we ever did, but they did it. They probably think our generation is a bunch of whiny pussies if they read threads like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    ... imagine what our parents/grandparents went through when they first emigrated to the west? They probably faced MUCH MUCH more problems than we ever did, but they did it. They probably think our generation is a bunch of whiny pussies if they read threads like this!
    Believe me, my Dad doesn't ever let me forget He actually makes out as if he got into a rowboat and paddled his way to the US......
    and I have so much respect for him to have fought so hard to give me the opportunities I have today.

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje:
    Believe me, my Dad doesn't ever let me forget He actually makes out as if he got into a rowboat and paddled his way to the US......
    and I have so much respect for him to have fought so hard to give me the opportunities I have today.
    So the conclusion here is... Banana Pride!

Nah, it's piss-easy and as you can now tell, lots of people do it all the time. The only reason I can think if it being tougher for an OBC than a caucasian would be if you've got some kind of inferiority complex.

If you can *only* speak one language in Hong Kong, English is the best choice by far if you want to correlate language to salary or career opportunities. Unfortunately, this also results in a greater proportion of entitled ABCs working in finance, but it's not a big deeal.