Hong Kong or Singapore ?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can you really be single and have fun in Singapore?

There seems to be a lot of views revolving around: HK is fun for singles, Singapore is fun for families (like Jim Rogers!)

an annoying thing about singapore is a number of clubs have a minimum entry age (for men) of 23!!!!!!!!!!

i got refused entry to one when i was 22 and i was like wtf?!!? i was drinking and clubbing before you (the club) was even born!

Wcdma,

We faced a similar choice a few months back, and opted for HK where we are very happy. The main driving factors were:
    - HK simply feels much more part of the civilized world (together with London & NY..). S'pore always felt a bit out on a limb
    - Access to beaches as well as mountain hiking
    - Climate, it is good to have a few cold weeks in the year
    - Local press, the SCMP was far better than anything I could find in S'pore

Having said all that, we found the quality of appartments to have a higher standard in S'pore.

I think a lot depends on what stage you are at in your life (if lots of kids then S'pore would be good) and the business you are in.

If you are single, forget either and move to Tokyo instead...

Kuma

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokuma:
    If you are single, forget either and move to Tokyo instead...
    If you speak Japanese...

For English-only speakers, Tokyo must be virtually impossible both personally and professionally....?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    For English-only speakers, Tokyo must be virtually impossible both personally and professionally....?
    Not at all....

So what is single life like in Singapore....?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    So what is single life like in Singapore....?
    It can be a lot of fun. Amcham, Britcham, Auscham with all their events / social evenings / balls etc. There's dragon boating, hashing, yacht racing to get involved in to meet loads of people and do loads of things. Groups of young people going over to Malaysia scuba diving or to a beach for the weekend. People are very friendly, open and welcoming.

To be honest, I found it a lot easier to make friends and do things in Singapore than I do in HK, but maybe that's because I'm not single in HK and it seems easier to make friends if you are.

Both HK and SG are Ang Moh friendly. If you only speak English SG might be a better fit but its not a deal breaker. For Ang Moh or Gweilo in HK there is a special zone called Wanchi for you to take care of your need for libations and your libido. The average Ang Moh can choose to assimilate into HK society or remain in the Mid Levels and be fully functional as their are plenty of restaurants and bars etc nearby. If you are Ang Moh and concerned about air quality SG might be a better fit. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I've done both - at the risk of mass hysteria from other people out there, I found the following. The differences in some cases are slight.

HK's advantages
    - Culture is more flexible and less rules based, people want to get a deal done. Singaporeans can have more emphasis on "black and white" (paperwork)
    - Beaches and scenery. A lot of HK territory is national park and the beaches don't stink of marine diesel. Palau Ubin, Sentosa (formerly known as the island at the back of which lies death) are more limited.
    - Nightlife / being single. Expat population is younger and nightlife is more varied. Singapore has however been responding fast with MBA schools and a vastly expanded Robinson, Clarke and Boat Quay area.
    - Travel to China is a lot easier and cheaper

HK's disadvantages
    - Air quality. My personal view is that it is improving.
    - HK can appear for some to be more "gritty" when compared to SG.

SG's advantages
    - English (with the odd "Lah" thrown in) is the common language there making things more accessible
    - Air travel - better connections to South Asia, South East Asia and Australia. (I do prefer CX though)
    - Hawker centres - I really miss these
    - Taxi drivers, generally they more polite and less prone to speeding off with your mobile phone. They do cost more, and you have to phone one up (which is easy)
    - Very family friendly. Bigger flats are easier to find, as are schools etc. The government is also installing a lot of infrastructure. I even remember govt ads extolling the joys of being a parent

SG's disadvantages
    - There can be (v. rare) incidents of expat resentment
    - People cite a "sterile" environment (they can't quite put their finger on why)
    - No seasonality in the weather

Both cities are very expat friendly, with hyper-efficient public services. Their infrastructure is world class and both offer plenty of things to do. They are also very safe cities with honest and efficient public officials, even compared to Europe.

Last edited by fth; 06-09-2009 at 12:21 PM.