Moving to HK from UK

Sil

Question Moving to HK from UK

Hi,

I am looking to move to HK with my boyfriend. We have been living in the UK fo the past 2 years but are originally fom Aus. His company is offering him a local package but is comparing everything (such as cost of living to Aus). I would rather compare to the UK as that's what his current package is in at the moment so...

1 - Does anyone know what the cost of living differential is between the UK and HK?

2 - We currently spend about £1600 a month on rent in London, how does this compare to HK if we want to find a ncie 2 bed apartment in somewhere like Happy Valley? his company have built in rental allowance of $HK45k per month? is this good enogh for what we want?

3 - As his partner (i.e. not married), what are the rules on me getting a job / staying there etc?

Appreciate any assistance.

Sil

biz

We are in the process of sorting these things out ourselves albeit with three nippers in tow. cost of living seems to be on balance slightly cheaper than HK (if you take rental out). A mate who moved 9 mnths ago reckons around 15% cheaper and they do get out a lot. work the tax advantage in as well and you should be much better off.

Best way to get feels for rentals is to go into the myriad websites such as proway. just do a google search as theyve got pictures, particulars etc etc. I would think that 45k would get you a decent pad even with recent increases. market is around the level it was when we left in 98 and from memory 45k is a good one for just a couple.

we arent married and visas have to be obtained on a dependence basis. check out the hk govt website which has full criteria with regard to working visas etc etc.

Hope that helps. best advice id give you is to spend a lot of time googling things - the information is all there somewhere. good luck - see you down the football club.

biz

oops - i meant hk slightly cheaper than london!! typo

45k for rental is very, very good and you should find a pretty decent place in a pretty central location.

Although HK seems cheaper in some aspects (ex-rent) it is also expensive in others. Technically the cost of living differential between the UK and HK is negligible i.e. they are about the same. You will find that groceries are a bit more expensive compared to a Tesco, Asda etc. Things like Milk and fresh meat (good quality beef, chicken, lamb etc) are a lot more expensive than the UK.

I don't think a dependent visa allows you to work. You'll have to find a company that is willing to sponsor your visa.

Good luck and ask anything else you want about the move. Just moved here 3mths ago from Jpn but am a Brit.

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga
    I don't think a dependent visa allows you to work. You'll have to find a company that is willing to sponsor your visa.
    True, and unless you're married you won't even get a dependent visa - you'll have to come as a visitor. If you have a UK passport I think that gets you 6 months at a time, but an Aussie one is only worth 3 months. We were in the same position, and my better half (Aussie passport) managed to get a "prolonged visitor" visa. It lasts 6 months, and apparently (haven't tried yet) you can apply to renew it rather than leaving the country and coming back in again. Hard to find any info on this, but if your bf's company handles visas as mine did, they should know.

As for apartments, 45k should be plenty! There are a few web sites, but don't trust www.gohome.com.hk - the prices are way below reality and just seem to be there to pull people in. www.hongkonghomes.com seems more realistic and has photos.

Good luck!

Doug.

why do you think about living in Discovery Bay.... is good place to live!

One of my friend want to rent his house, located in Discovery Bay, 30 mins to Central by Ferry, he have just finished prefect renovations, very very deco, 889sqf, 3 rooms, with 2 toilets with the plasma Big screen TV, prefect kicten, on holiday is a good place to go hiking, beach around, prefect indoor and outdoor swimming pool, gym.... if you are interested call me on 61309917, cathy

High floor, good view, Fully furnished (inc. every thing : DVD, Tv, surround sound stereo Boso). The layout is modern, sliding doors in the toilet, very trendy, brand new kitchen. No agent fee. This is a serviced apartment or you can bring your own furnish, It only costed $35000 per month.

For 45K a month, you can get luxury, a huge apartment, in the best areas of Hong Kong... Seriously!!!

Sil, listen to me, just come to HK. Go to the Caine Street in Central Hong Kong. There are like 8 real estate agencies that are waiting for a person with 45K housing allowance. (they typically make one month commission. And 45K is a lot in HK. Most people dont even make 15K a month.)

If your combined incomes are 50-60K Pounds a year and you have a housing allowance of 45K per month, you can live like royalty in HK....

You need to have a visa to work... legally... many expats get part time jobs at bars with out a visa. However, I definitely suggest you figure out your working situation before you come to HK.

Last edited by Erospoetae; 09-10-2005 at 12:33 PM.

CCC123- are you a real estate broker?

Sil

Thanks all for your really helpful repsonses. Helps to put my mind at ease about rental but I am slightly worried about the Visa thing.

I looked up the HK gov website and I think I can get a working holiday visa for 12 months as I am under 30. However, I will also do what you did dougp and speak to my boyfriend's company to see if they can assist on this... after all, we come as a package.

Anyone live in Happy Valley? That's where we are thinking of looking.

Sil