Renting vs Serviced Apartment???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

thanks vicenta. these sorts of contacts are very useful and appreciated.

we're in a serviced apartment through work for the first month but then are on our own.

hopefully four weeks will be enough to find something we are happy with.

You should try 852reaestate.com they dont charge any commission

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_Monkey:
    the cleaners get frikkin annoying very quickly
    But they clean your flat....?!?!?!

How can anyone get annoying when the clean for you????

I have been in a serviced apartment for 4 weeks (not that long then), so I am not the most qualified to comment. BUT....This whole "service" culture of living in hotel style accomodation seems to reflect Hong Kong down to a tee.

The one thing I have learned in the short time I have been here is time is precious, because the chinese commit so much of their time to work. And when you are at work, you work hard. So good location is important, and being near to MTR is a must.

An old cliche sure, cash rich time poor, but that is how the expat community lives out here.... so for the time being not having to ;
    1. purchase furniture
    2. arrange moving it in
    3. sell everything when you move out
    4. having no utility bills (when you consider a/c costs, it is a lot)
    5. not having to buy basic amenities like cutlery, crockery, towels, linen, bog roll
    6. having a cleaner clean your flat and make your bed every day
    7. not having to purchase a plasma, hi fi sound system, etc....
    8. not having to sign up for broadband internet / telephone / cable services

.....all adds up and service flats seem to be a lot easier to live with.....

Then again, ask me in three months!

the cleaners are annoying cause they are always there when you dont want them to be! I guess it wouldnt be a problem if i was at work all day, though they used to come on saturday anyway, but i like my space and the sporadic invasion by the featherdusting slow-motion cleaners with a talent for bad timing starts to get taxing....

I'm considering signing a long term lease (at least 1 year) to live in a serviced apartment. But everyone has been advising me against it - but I really don't see don't see what is so bad about it ?? Are there any hidden conditions I should be aware of ?

Please tell me if I'm missing something !

But financially it seems to makes sense. For around $18K I can get a 1 bedroom serviced apartment with furniture and utilities, internet and cleaning included. Alternatively, I could rent a $16K apartment with 2 bedrooms in mid-levels, but I would have to pay for everything myself. And also, I don't need two bedrooms - I would prefer one bigger bedroom. In addition, I return home from work past midnight everyday, so I don't really care if the place feels 'homely' or not.

Quote Originally Posted by andy8002001:
    I'm considering signing a long term lease (at least 1 year) to live in a serviced apartment. But everyone has been advising me against it - but I really don't see don't see what is so bad about it ?? Are there any hidden conditions I should be aware of ?

Please tell me if I'm missing something !

But financially it seems to makes sense. For around $18K I can get a 1 bedroom serviced apartment with furniture and utilities, internet and cleaning included. Alternatively, I could rent a $16K apartment with 2 bedrooms in mid-levels, but I would have to pay for everything myself. And also, I don't need two bedrooms - I would prefer one bigger bedroom. In addition, I return home from work past midnight everyday, so I don't really care if the place feels 'homely' or not.
    Thats pretty much how I saw it too. (although I must be really really getting ripped off!)

A piece of advice tho is this quoting sq feet on an apartment. They have the concept of gross and net in HK. You wanna concentrate on the net figure which is actual living space, as opposed to gross where they apportion the communal areas (gym, corridors etc.) in the overall figure.

Each to their own. If you have seen the apartment, like it and the location then go for it. The positives outlined by Nutta are so true and if you are on your own and not much of a 'nester' then it sounds like the way to go for you. The girl in the apartment next to us when we had our serviced apartment had been there for a year and was just moving out - after a year she had had enough but it worked well for her until then and I was seriously considering staying on. It's certainly cheaper and easier in terms of set up especially if you have no time or interest in it (it can be quite exhausting) and it will be heaps easier for you to leave HK later. My friend who grew up here reckons breaking contracts is easy and you have to commit to at least a year in most places anyway.

Thanks Larac and Nutta.

It is ridiculous how they quote square feet here......I mean would I think the lift or the lift lobby are part of my house normally ???

Nutta.......I think the price range of serviced apartments is extremely huge.........from around $18K to $60K ........depending on quality and locaiton. I see you're living in Pacific Place from your "location" information - that would definitely be in the higher bracket.

My experience is different to what Iarac says. I will like to leave my service apartment now and adm doesn't want to break the contract. I am in a monthly bases and I said I wanted to leave 15 days before the end of the month. My husband made a mistake and said we'll stay for one more month, so now we have to stay if we don't want to pay doble rent. (Parkview)

Quote Originally Posted by andy8002001:
    Thanks Larac and Nutta.

It is ridiculous how they quote square feet here......I mean would I think the lift or the lift lobby are part of my house normally ???

Nutta.......I think the price range of serviced apartments is extremely huge.........from around $18K to $60K ........depending on quality and locaiton. I see you're living in Pacific Place from your "location" information - that would definitely be in the higher bracket.
    Yeh, of course the company pays for the rent, so I dont really mind if it is overpriced (so if its your money, avoid!), but having said that, the place is really nice. So eh... maybe a house warming party sometime?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast