Renting vs Serviced Apartment???

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Her name is Edwinna and she speaks adequate Eng.
    Her company is Kinwell Real Estate & Dorcorator Sing Woo rd across from Welcom Supermarket. Office is 8385188. Tell her is referred by Steve from US. She will find something for you. the unit I stay in was about 480 sq. feet, not big but clean and comfy. She told me the rent was about $7000/ month. Of course, it's just a reference. Market can go up/down. Good luck!

I took out a 2 month lease on a service apartment, work from the apartment when I'm in HK, and after looking around at renting, I decided that the convenience of the service apartment won out, and I extended my lease for another 6 months.

Spacewise, I'm pretty happy with my 2-bedroom at the Shama in Causeway Bay. It's super convenient to the MTR, cabs, City Super, Park 'N Shop and lots of food joints open at all hours of the day and night. A bit $$ if you want a 2-bedroom, but the single bedrooms are about half the price.
    Good security also which important to me because I travel quite a bit so it's nice to know that nobody can get into my apartment (short of the cleaner and you only get 1 person that is appointed to your apartment so you can get to know them as well) when I'm not around. My cleaner is very sweet, waters and talks to my plants when I'm not in town.

Check out the lease agreements because some are pretty flexible when it comes to making the place more homey ...especially if you are on a longer lease. Mine allows me to hang my own pictures and art work on the wall (they'll even come and do it for you. Good thing because I hated the art work they had),and add your own pieces of furniture and objets d'art around the place.

Depending on the service apartment you're in, some are also affiliated to clubs such as the Pacific Club or Kee Club which is good for entertaining clients and friends, and generally to hang out from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by rrb:
    Moving to HK in Jan 06 and have a rental budget of around 25K/month. All the usual things are being considered e.g. rent, location, square footage etc. Working in central so will ideally like to be within a 45 min commute door to door max and ideally around about 700sqft.

Was looking at renting but now considering serviced apartments. Seems you can get some fairly good deals with a newly furnished apartment with all bills, servicing etc included which would save you a but each month if you had to take care of all ths yourself. Only downside I can see is you would probably not get as much space as you would in a rented apartment. Also depending on the lease agreement your probably not tied in as much as you would be with a lease and also you could probably negotiate a better deal over a 12 month period. Would mean a lot less stuff to move over from Lonond and probably would spend a lot less setting up.

Interested to hear thoughts or experiences from others.

Thanks,

RB
    When my wife got here, she lived in a service apartment until she found us a nice rental. Personally, I prefer a regular rental where you can just hire a maid...IMO, more freedom and more bang for the buck.

We have a place in Quarry Bay (hong kong island) at around 850 sq ft. + for about your $25k+ price range (althought I think it's about 27 ballpark), and might I add it's very nice for the price, not like something you get in NY - 200 sq. ft of nothing. The reason I like it here vs. a service apt. where I lived for a short-while is creature comforts. I feel more at home, the people have families around me, more upper-middle class, and it doesn't have that "short-term" touristy (made up word ) feel to it. I always felt that personal renals are more comfortable than serviced apartements, especially the short-term ones.

Hi,

do you know where I can rent a flat or room (for 1-2 persons)

* for a period of 3 months starting from 25 Nov 2005 - 2 Mar 2006
    * costs preferably BELOW $2000-$3000 per month
    * anywhere in HK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GOODMAN:
    Her name is Edwinna and she speaks adequate Eng.
    Her company is Kinwell Real Estate & Dorcorator Sing Woo rd across from Welcom Supermarket. Office is 8385188. Tell her is referred by Steve from US. She will find something for you. the unit I stay in was about 480 sq. feet, not big but clean and comfy. She told me the rent was about $7000/ month. Of course, it's just a reference. Market can go up/down. Good luck!
    Thanks Goodman! I will check it out with her. Cheers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4