Moving to HK from the UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to HK from the UK

Hi All,

I'm probably going to be moving to HK with my company in the first part of next year providing contractual details all get sorted, however I have a few questions. I lived in HK years ago as a boy (87-90) and at the time lived in DB. From what I remember it was a very nice place for an expat family, but I have no idea what it's like these days.

My wife is fairly nervous about the prospect of moving over there as she's never been before and wants to be somewhere that there are lots of other westerners she can get together with, toddler groups (have a 16 month old daughter), nice environment etc. Any advice? She'd like a house ideally but think we'll probably be limited to about a HKD60k/month budget.

Anyone else had to reassure their partners about moving over there?

Any help appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Adrian.

60K/month?!?!?! for housing? i can only dream... we pay 1/10 of that in Db. for that price, you'd get a beautiful house with a HUGE garden in DB!!!

it is still a great place for families.

i've been in hk for 10 years, the last 4.5 of which have been in Db. if you'd like to chat, please feel free to email me

cara_ng_hk at yahoo.com

ps. i'm canadian, my hubby is local

I don't live there adrianip, but from what i've seen and read here on this site it sounds perfect for what you're looking for. Very family friendly and open, with a lot of expat people.

P.S Carang, you're not suppose to put email public, do via PM

thanks for the warning... i know that i shouldn't do it...ah well.. i don't use my computer for banking and i don't use my credit card over the internet either...

...but still...carang..!!
    ...and you forgot about those nasty spammers..

...errr..db is still the same..very nice!!..perfect for families..

Last edited by angiebaby80; 17-10-2005 at 10:14 PM. Reason: didn't wanta make it a chat-thread

^ db has totally changed!!!

I used to live there what 10 years ago, I went back last year and could not recognise the place at ALL..

how much is the ferry ride now?

oops that was off topic.

with your budget, maybe you should look at stanley or repulse bay?

Last edited by helles; 17-10-2005 at 10:23 PM.

places change in 10 years and people too..

single trip to db is $27.00 so return is..you know..

$27 for a single?!?!?!!? woooooooooowww.. that will soon add up!

but then, thats what £2, so nothing really! hehe..

Thanks for all the comments guys, Helles, you mentioned Repulse Bay or Stanley, are there a lot of westerners around there? How is transport into Central?

surprisingly... i get very little spam, but lots of emails from people with questions about HK....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast