bringing car to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smile bringing car to HK

I have recently arrived from UK and am planning to bring my family over soon.

We have a car back in UK which we want to bring over. Can someone tell me what import duties will be payable or where I can find this information?

Many thanks

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

you might want to start your search here

http://www.td.gov.hk/home/index.htm

whr

Is it actually worth all the hassle of getting it shipped over etc and risking it getting damaged on the boat and needing bodywork and respray done etc etc?

And also is it a rare car and if so servicing and parts will be an issue, and more imprtantly, doe sit have air con as you'll definately need it here.

Cars are pretty cheap here in hk anyway and depending on where you're living you probably don't actually need a car because the public transport system is much superior than u.k's.

Jimbo -- Amen.

Simply not worth importing a used car.

it's very hard,
    not only the emission test (very tough)
    but the new regulation is all imported cars (including used cars) must have airbags installed!! (otherwise, no way!!)

the only exception is if the car is 20yrs or older (consider the classic car category)
    **but this regulation also includes the requirement that the car is in its true original form, no modification what-so-ever!!

other regulation,
    you must be the owner of the car in oversea for 6months or longer!
    (otherwise, it must only be a car dealer that can import it)

import tax
    for the car value of less than HK$150,000, the import tax is 35%
    but if the value is higher, the import tax will be increasing according...up to 90% (almost double the cost)

It is also worth noting - the 'First registration tax' (remember - Hong Kong is a free port - no import tax on cars so they tell me ;-)) also applies to all the costs in getting it here.

So if your car is valued such that you are paying 35% tax you must also include the cost of shipping, the insurance, the handling fees and the cost of any modifications you require once you arrive in HK to pass the local MOT to the total that is considered for tax.

Thanks everyone - it seems very costly.
    I'll reconsider.

check out my handle. I'm a Tuscan TVR fan, but I can't import it as I find the cost ludicrous and the policies outrageous.

hk in an anti-vehicular place. i mean, if people actually had the freedom of private transport, how could the illuminati-owned MTRC/bus co's make their ludicrous profits?

cerberus,

Could you provide any evidence to support your assertion that the MTR/bus co/s make "ludicrous profits" from the transport business?

As far as I know, the MTR doesn't make any significant amount of money from running a subway system - it makes all its profit from the rights to the property that sits in and above its stations.

I'm not too sure about the bus companies, but my understanding is that the terms of their franchises are such that the profit they can make is capped and if they exceed that then they are obliged to make fare cuts.

Last edited by PDLM; 28-11-2005 at 01:08 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast