What's it really like in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

actually i have to say that the transience of hk makes it easy to settle, but can make it difficult to stay...

i get terribly sick and tired of having to make a new set of friends just when i've started to really get to know the ones i currently have but are about to move "home"...

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    actually i have to say that the transience of hk makes it easy to settle, but can make it difficult to stay...

i get terribly sick and tired of having to make a new set of friends just when i've started to really get to know the ones i currently have but are about to move "home"...
    Have you ever thought that perhaps they leave the country to avoid you? Just joking

Oh - you'll need an industrial strength liver and a liberal attitude to late nights, oh god it's early mornings, casual sex and substance abuse.

But the hiking is great and there are some surprisingly nice beaches.

In life it's always better to lower your expectations so you can be pleasantly surprised. Expect the worst, hope for the best bla bla bla.

If you're up for a little adventure just do it. You'll find your feet as you go. Realistically though it takes 6-12 months to 'get Hong Kong' and more to call it home. Now after almost 3 years here I can say I honestly love it. There are things I would change but the same could be said for any part of the world. I never thought I'd say HK is home.

But I guess it does help knowing we can also leave whenever we want!

Also, if it really didn't work out, wouldn't you rather regret something you did than something you didn't do? If you don't enjoy it, you can go home, but if you don't try it you may always be wondering where life would have taken you if you'd taken the opportunity to work in HK.

Did someone mentioned that it's hard to find some healthy food?

Like full grain bread is already hard to find. The supermarkets only sell in a few slices.

But on the other hand, there is nothing that HK doesn't sell, so if you really want to, you'd just have to look very hard.

Oh... and internet purchases are a pain. HK websites are clearly not web 2.0

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

But there are no taxes or duties to pay on orders from overseas.

Postal costs are very cheap too, so easy to send gifts etc home.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Also, if it really didn't work out, wouldn't you rather regret something you did than something you didn't do? If you don't enjoy it, you can go home, but if you don't try it you may always be wondering where life would have taken you if you'd taken the opportunity to work in HK.
    That is exactly the reason I moved and I don't regret it for a moment. In fact I often find myself wondering why I ever doubted the chance of a lifetime. Just do it!

Bad bits? Hmm? Having to try to fit in so many social events, tiny flats, sweaty weather, frustrating doing anything on the phone (is that everywhere though?), lack of grass and fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by hong kong pearl:
    London obviously has a lot more open space, huge parks
    In the sense of urban parks within the city then yes, but one of the things I prefer in Hong Kong to London is the access to real hiking in minutes. There are no 3000' hills or even any decent hiking country within 2 or 3 hours of Central London, but I can be on three within an hour from Central Hong Kong, and within minutes from some other residential areas. The hiking and country parks here are the best I have ever come across adjacent to a major city.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast