What's it really like in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Coming from California I know that if I fly 2 hours I can be in Mexico or Vancouver, 5 hours or so I can be in Hawaii or Rio.

Prior to coming to HK the last time I ate Mickey D's was 15 years ago. I had it once here and never again. I dont eat white rice, I prefer sprouted brown rice, spelt, amaranth, quinoa, etc its healthier and better for you.

The nutrition and micronutrients are all in the bran and once you polish that off all you have is empty starch and calories.

Im Chinese and no I am not as you say "Euro-Centric", since I can cook very well, eating out is a grave disappointment for someone such as myself.

Whats the point of eating something foreign when the food has been bastardized to local tastes?

Yeah I know Chinese food back home has sweet and sour this and that and egg foo young this and that, but I never touch that.

If you go to a Greek restaurant back home, you're gonna get Greek Food. If you get Korean you're gonna get Korean, I can go on and on.

I went to a Korean place back home the food was comparable to what I have had in Osan, and I am not talking about BBQ. I am referring to "Jokbal" and the "banchan".

Perhaps you have been here too long and have forgotten what food taste like, or maybe you have no taste at all.

But to each their own, one word to the new comers to HK. Learn to cook or you're gonna have a hard time.

it all depends on where in north america you are coming from. you know it's a pretty big place. from one side of canada to the other can easily take 6-8 hours. from vancouver, it would take an awful lot longer to get to rio.

as for not having any taste? i think that is a totally uncalled for insult. my ONE lament for food in hk is the lack of good greek food. so, as you suggested, i cook my own.

i have had some absolutely fantastic food in hk. i'm very surprised that you disparage it. if i had the money, i'd have no problem eating out every night and enjoying every minute of it.

and, no... i haven't forgotten what food tastes like.

(you're right, you're not "euro-centric"... you're american. and we all know that america is the best country in the world andso much better than anywhere else... God bless America!)

funny, those that get my sense of humour give green blobs.. those that don't give me red.

i don't mind others having a difference of opinion. THAT'S what makes forum discussions interesting. what i DO have a problem with are personal insults. they are totally uncalled for, hence my retaliation.

mr. red-blobber: i get enough PMs and emails thanking me for my opinions and asking for advice, i couldn't give two figs for your opinion of my advice/comments. so go ahead... make my day!

Even if one has the money, its hard if not impossible to find. Not once have I ever claimed America was the best. I am Chinese American, I never once claimed to be anything that I wasnt. The color of my passport does not define who I am and what I eat.

Canada is also in "America"

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i have had some absolutely fantastic food in hk. i'm very surprised that you disparage it. if i had the money, i'd have no problem eating out every night and enjoying every minute of it.

and, no... i haven't forgotten what food tastes like.

(you're right, you're not "euro-centric"... you're american. and we all know that america is the best country in the world andso much better than anywhere else... God bless America!)

everyone who reads this.... PLEASE do not mistake me for American...gosh... THAT would be the BIGGEST insult! LOL

shadows - there is plenty of superb international food in HK. It's very expensive though. I agree, that the cheaper "international" food struggles to be truly international but every so often you find a restaurant (often run by an expat) which serves authentic cuisine. But does require leaving your flat and getting out to try stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by shadows:

If you go to a Greek restaurant back home, you're gonna get Greek Food. If you get Korean you're gonna get Korean, I can go on and on.

I went to a Korean place back home the food was comparable to what I have had in Osan, and I am not talking about BBQ. I am referring to "Jokbal" and the "banchan".
    To be fair, there's no Greek or Korean community here like "back home". I'm from Toronto. We have a Greektown, a Koreatown, Little Italy, Little Portugal... etc. where you can find authentic international food. HK has no such communities.

THAT'S the difference between a city that is 95% chinese (a fairly homogeneous society) and a multi-cultural one.

I wonder if the Peking Duck in Athens is any good... hmmmm

...dare i share i LOVE Mc Do sausage n egg muffins..?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast