notice of marriage

Closed Thread

notice of marriage

Hi!

I apologize in advanced if this is not the proper forum to post these types of inquiries, but nevertheless, I was wondering if anyone knew how long it took for the notice of marriage to actually be put up and displayed?

As I understand, once the notice for intended marriage is filed and applied for with the accompanying documents to register the marriage information and such, the marrying parties receive a document confirming their notice. Is the notice then immediately displayed? Do we then count the next day after filing, the first clear day that it is being displayed?

Also, we are having a civil celebrant officiate the wedding - is it alright if the marrying party files for notice themselves at the registry and just has the civil celebrant for the ceremony?

Thanks a lot for your time and insight!

when you giving notice for intended married they will ask you to pick the available date on their busy calender.after that you just wait until the wedding date you picked.try to check the marriage registry in admiralty they have many slot available.you can choose to get married in city hall or admiralty marriage registry.

Quote Originally Posted by ladikmlg:
    when you giving notice for intended married they will ask you to pick the available date on their busy calender.after that you just wait until the wedding date you picked.try to check the marriage registry in admiralty they have many slot available.you can choose to get married in city hall or admiralty marriage registry.
    What you have described is the process if you get married at in the "state" system. But the OP has already said that they are not doing this - they are getting married using a Civil Celebrant. That being so they can get married wherever, whenever they want subject only to the required time having passed since their notice of marriage was posted (and the notice not having expired, which is 3 months later)

When we did it the Civil Celebrant handles all the paperwork, but I see no reason why the parties can't file notice themselves. Obviously the Celebrant has a legal duty to ensure that the notice has been properly given before he conducts the marriage.

From The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    The notice will be exhibited at the marriage registry where it is given and also at the Marriage Registration & Records Office for at least 15 clear days.
    I'm not sure but it seems reasonable to assume that if, say you give notice on the first of the month then the first "clear day" is the second of the month, and the first day you can get married is the 17th of the month. To be safe you might want to assume that the first "clear day" is the first working day after you submit the notice.