Have Euro passport but will get HK passport

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,787

    Have Euro passport but will get HK passport

    Originally I submitted an application for HK resident (my goal: get HKID) from abroad. After going to HK a couple of times, I've finally managed to submit all necessary documents to the immigration department.
    Good news is they've approved everything. BUT: the immigration officer said on the phone that both my HKID and passport is approved and can come over to them. Now, I did'nt want to apply for passport (since I have a Euro(The Netherlands) one) only want a HKID. Reaction of the officer was: that all applications originating from abroad are for both. If I should cancel the passport I cancel everything???

    But why do they issue a passport to me, since gathered from the info on this forum you cannot get double citizenship with HK (or Netherlands for that matter)

    How should I proceed? Anyone can shed a light on this?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,279

    Expectation is that you drop any other passports. No harm in collecting your shiny HKSAR passport anyway.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,787
    Quote Originally Posted by **:
    Never heard such thing as one applies for VISA and get passport also.. Please double check and make sure the officer is talking about HKSAR passport..
    Its not visa, its a permanent HKID card, since my parents were born in HK and of chinese descent. I was just applying to get ROA or RTL. I don't wanna lose my Netherlands passport for all kinds of reasons. Double checked on the phone: they SAID passport. ("Woo Ziu" in Cantonese)

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Third Sphere of Paradiso
    Posts
    1,968

    ok.. now you are making sense. You missed this important piece of information in your first post :>


  5. #5

    I dont know. All i know is: NEVER drop your EU passport. The most valuable and wanted besides the US passport.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    194

    Can you keep both a HKSAR passport and a second passport as long as you don't tell anyone?

    Also I don't see what's so great about a U.S. passport since then you have to pay taxes to the U.S. (This is not the case with most EU passports or UK passports)


  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by ohchk2001:
    Can you keep both a HKSAR passport and a second passport as long as you don't tell anyone?
    I know some people who do this and are proud of it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    I know some people who do this and are proud of it.
    Does that mean you are a Chinese national then?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Originally I submitted an application for HK resident (my goal: get HKID) from abroad. After going to HK a couple of times, I've finally managed to submit all necessary documents to the immigration department.
    Good news is they've approved everything. BUT: the immigration officer said on the phone that both my HKID and passport is approved and can come over to them. Now, I did'nt want to apply for passport (since I have a Euro(The Netherlands) one) only want a HKID. Reaction of the officer was: that all applications originating from abroad are for both. If I should cancel the passport I cancel everything???

    But why do they issue a passport to me, since gathered from the info on this forum you cannot get double citizenship with HK (or Netherlands for that matter)

    How should I proceed? Anyone can shed a light on this?

    Hong Kong does allow dual nationality. You just don't tell your dutch authority then will be fine. Myself has got both EU passport and the HKSAR. --

    If you really check out visa requirment for travelling certain countries, HKSAR passport does allow you to travel to a lot of countries without travel visa but EU passport doesn't. The only place EU passport is in advantage is to travel to the US.

    So no harm keeping to passports

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    138

    i wouldnt recommend keeping both, you dont want to find yourself having your EU passport revoked!! not worth the trouble. Permanent HKID is more than enough! One thing i have always stuck by is dont mess with the immigration officials! they are people who can really screw you over if they want!


Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast