Have Euro passport but will get HK passport

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Have Euro passport but will get HK passport

Originally I submitted an application for HK resident (my goal: get HKID) from abroad. After going to HK a couple of times, I've finally managed to submit all necessary documents to the immigration department.
    Good news is they've approved everything. BUT: the immigration officer said on the phone that both my HKID and passport is approved and can come over to them. Now, I did'nt want to apply for passport (since I have a Euro(The Netherlands) one) only want a HKID. Reaction of the officer was: that all applications originating from abroad are for both. If I should cancel the passport I cancel everything???

But why do they issue a passport to me, since gathered from the info on this forum you cannot get double citizenship with HK (or Netherlands for that matter)

How should I proceed? Anyone can shed a light on this?

Expectation is that you drop any other passports. No harm in collecting your shiny HKSAR passport anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by **:
    Never heard such thing as one applies for VISA and get passport also.. Please double check and make sure the officer is talking about HKSAR passport..
    Its not visa, its a permanent HKID card, since my parents were born in HK and of chinese descent. I was just applying to get ROA or RTL. I don't wanna lose my Netherlands passport for all kinds of reasons. Double checked on the phone: they SAID passport. ("Woo Ziu" in Cantonese)

ok.. now you are making sense. You missed this important piece of information in your first post :>

I dont know. All i know is: NEVER drop your EU passport. The most valuable and wanted besides the US passport.

Can you keep both a HKSAR passport and a second passport as long as you don't tell anyone?

Also I don't see what's so great about a U.S. passport since then you have to pay taxes to the U.S. (This is not the case with most EU passports or UK passports)

Quote Originally Posted by ohchk2001:
    Can you keep both a HKSAR passport and a second passport as long as you don't tell anyone?
    I know some people who do this and are proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    I know some people who do this and are proud of it.
    Does that mean you are a Chinese national then?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Originally I submitted an application for HK resident (my goal: get HKID) from abroad. After going to HK a couple of times, I've finally managed to submit all necessary documents to the immigration department.
    Good news is they've approved everything. BUT: the immigration officer said on the phone that both my HKID and passport is approved and can come over to them. Now, I did'nt want to apply for passport (since I have a Euro(The Netherlands) one) only want a HKID. Reaction of the officer was: that all applications originating from abroad are for both. If I should cancel the passport I cancel everything???

But why do they issue a passport to me, since gathered from the info on this forum you cannot get double citizenship with HK (or Netherlands for that matter)

How should I proceed? Anyone can shed a light on this?

Hong Kong does allow dual nationality. You just don't tell your dutch authority then will be fine. Myself has got both EU passport and the HKSAR. --

If you really check out visa requirment for travelling certain countries, HKSAR passport does allow you to travel to a lot of countries without travel visa but EU passport doesn't. The only place EU passport is in advantage is to travel to the US.

So no harm keeping to passports

i wouldnt recommend keeping both, you dont want to find yourself having your EU passport revoked!! not worth the trouble. Permanent HKID is more than enough! One thing i have always stuck by is dont mess with the immigration officials! they are people who can really screw you over if they want!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast