Finding a job in Hong Kong with Cantonese and English but cannot read/write Chinese.

Closed Thread

Finding a job in Hong Kong with Cantonese and English but cannot read/write Chinese.

I want to move to Hong Kong but I don't have any sort of hong kong ID or work visa. How can I stay there and find a job there and support myself? I can read and write English and speak fluent Cantonese but cannot write or read Chinese. What kind of jobs should I be looking for? I did work in an optical field for 3 years perhaps I can work in an optical shop without knowing how to read or write Chinese?

u need luck...second, you need network / connection...

visa visa visa

You don't stand a chance unless you marry a local.

30 years old or younger? You can start with a working holiday visa. The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Last edited by existenz; 17-01-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Only if the A stands for "Australian". If it stands for "American" then he is not eligible for the Working Holiday Scheme.

I am in the same position and I plan to look for a job in HK starting in June. I'm a HK citizen looking to get some entry-level experience in practically any field I can with my degree (business BBA). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

ABC Jooksing; do you have any white collar work experience? If not you may struggle to find a company to sponsor you for a visa. If you do have work experience the visa requirement isn't an issue, my gf wasn't born here either and does not have cantonese language skills but found a place to sponsor her for a visa relatively easily. The market is def picking up.

Paranoidandroid - gaining a graduate role in business is pretty cut-throat here in HK, you may be better off getting a few years work experience in a given field before you try your hand.. that being said it isn't impossible. Maybe submit your CV to as many graduate roles as you can and book a 2-3 week return ticket to HK to do the interviews.

i am the same situation with you bro. if you find anything good, let me know..