5 things you wish you'd known/done before moving

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

5 things you wish you'd known/done before moving

Hello everyone,
    I'm about a month away from arriving in HK for a 3-year contract, and I think I have everything covered. Of course, I don't know what I don't know, so I'm wondering if you might remember what it was like for you. What were the 5 things that you wish you could go back and change that would have made your transition to HK better? What do you wish you'd known before you got to HK?
    Thanks!

I would have found this forum sooner, the people are really helpful and over the past few months just about every possible topic has been covered so if you do a search you will probably find what you are after.

I would have made sure the termination and repatriation clauses in my partners contract were more comprehensive - 5 people in 4 months are no longer employed by the company and it can happen to anyone. I would just feel a bit better about coming out on the winning side should it happen to us.

I probably would have bought a few more things from home but I am headed home for Xmas anyway. HK has plenty of furtiture places and getting things sorted takes a while but making it feel like home is harder, you gather that stuff over time - not in a day shopping at Causeway Bay.

Can't think of another 2 right now but if you have questions make sure you ask, because you are certainly not alone

would have had lower expectations: this isn't the city of giants i expected.

1) learn chinese
    2) ask for more $$
    3) bought a ton of music as itunes isnt online here.
    4) Drive across country as I miss my car more than my family.
    5) find a place to live BEFORE coming, not after.

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus:
    would have had lower expectations: this isn't the city of giants i expected.

+1

don't expect anything but a completely different experience. not nec. good or bad, just different.

Its colder than you would imagine (mainly because there is no central heating or double glazing here) so bring a winter duvet and a few jumpers.

Bring a supply of bras (mostly padded here) and your favourite toiletries.

Sounds silly but bring cotton buds + any favourite flu remedy that works for you.

Be ready to accept the differences in culture - remember that you cant change the habits of the chinese so you just have to go with the flow.

>> remember that you cant change the habits of the chinese

I think this is so critical. If you were down to 1 thing you could bring with you, I'd say bring an open mind.

This place will not change for you, you're at the end of the day a pretty insignificant person in the big picture that is called Hong Kong. However, an open mind, the ability to make new friends, the ability to change ones ways is what will err ... to sort of bring into perspective what cerebus said, make you a giant.

If you're female, with feet size 41, bring excessive numbers of shoes as they only stock up to size 40 in most stores.

Also on the shoe thing, again for kitten heels/comfortable work shoes rather than 6 inch heels make most sense here (walking everywhere). I know this is a weird one but it was the bane of my existence for a few weeks....

Also, shipping costs quite a bit, it ends up being cheaper to buy new stuff. eg a Duvet/Doona takes up lots of space but you can get a nice new one cheaply at Ikea

My two cents!

Ohh - no carpets here so bring slippers or cosy socks

I agree with KIA, in particular since there's been a lot of negativity about HK in recent postings.

On a more practical level, the one thing I should have considered prior to coming is that while in Europe/US I am average height and weight, over here this means I am usually the tallest person in the lift/elevator and not as skinny as many of my local peers. In other words, bring plenty of your favourite clothes as you may find it difficult to find the right sizes here.

The one thing I need not have brought is the dozen or so power plug adapters,which I could have purchased locally for a fraction of what I paid in Europe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast