Like Tree2Likes

Another salary question: Is 40K enough for two?

Reply
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    We are US citizens. I thought my husband and baby would not need visas to enter HK. Or do they?

    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    They would need Dependent Visas in order to reside here, but those do not allow him to work. He may of course try to find an employer to sponsor him for his own Employment Visa, but that is the more or less the only way (untill you have lived here 7 years at which point you get permanent residence and the right to work).

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,207

    They don't need visas to enter for the purpose of being a tourist for up to 90 days. But that's not their reason for entry. If they wish to enter to take up residence then they need a visa, as does anyone who doesn't have Right of Abode or Right to Land in Hong Kong.


  3. #53

    currency?

    excuse my ignorance but what currency are you all referring to?


  4. #54

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,373
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiechick:
    excuse my ignorance but what currency are you all referring to?

    $40k in hong kong dollars.

  5. #55

    Question income query 40k

    i have posted this on another thread as well - sorry if you come across me twice.

    i have had some mixed feedback on the offer i have been given but inline with the advice here in this thread it has given me more confidence.
    I am a 25 year old australian who has been posted in london for three years and am seriously considering a post in march 2006 hong kong.

    the offer
    flights
    the superanuation bit
    health
    hk$10,000 rental
    hk$30,000 income

    when i arrive I will be living with a mate for a couple of months paying $5000hk a month in central while i set myself up before my girlfriend comes over 3-6 months later.

    i am hoping to use this time to chase some employment for her. she is a UK and Australian qualified teacher, currently head of department of the IT department in a london school. the difficulty is, she is looking for a career change as the management side of her position is attractive but the reward for a 60+ hour week is not so attractive. she is looking at a management role or PR role to get her teeth into.

    so really i guess i am asking if :
    A) what your thoughts on the offer for me as an individual?
    B) any advice on where i could look for leads for a motivated and hard working australian girl with international experience.
    c) if she came over with out work on my wage could i support the two of us for a couple of months?
    d) what kind iof income do we need to look at for her to have a good combined income for us to enjoy hong kong, travel and save.

    thanks

    Dan


  6. #56

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by austlondon2hk:
    i have posted this on another thread as well - sorry if you come across me twice.

    i have had some mixed feedback on the offer i have been given but inline with the advice here in this thread it has given me more confidence.
    I am a 25 year old australian who has been posted in london for three years and am seriously considering a post in march 2006 hong kong.

    the offer
    flights
    the superanuation bit
    health
    hk$10,000 rental
    hk$30,000 income

    when i arrive I will be living with a mate for a couple of months paying $5000hk a month in central while i set myself up before my girlfriend comes over 3-6 months later.

    i am hoping to use this time to chase some employment for her. she is a UK and Australian qualified teacher, currently head of department of the IT department in a london school. the difficulty is, she is looking for a career change as the management side of her position is attractive but the reward for a 60+ hour week is not so attractive. she is looking at a management role or PR role to get her teeth into.

    so really i guess i am asking if :
    A) what your thoughts on the offer for me as an individual?
    B) any advice on where i could look for leads for a motivated and hard working australian girl with international experience.
    c) if she came over with out work on my wage could i support the two of us for a couple of months?
    d) what kind iof income do we need to look at for her to have a good combined income for us to enjoy hong kong, travel and save.

    thanks

    Dan
    u guys are getting quite well paid, Which industry are you working and mind to tell how long have you been in that industry?

    I am a project manager in export trading and only get HKD$20k/m without housing allowance but somehow still live quite comfortable in HK for the past 2 years. Except the apartment i rented are quite small and old(cant afford big and luxurious one as other well paid expats here)

    How you guys get your job offer? through agent?

    Dont worry, if you not a shopping maniac usually you wont spend alot.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    107

    40 k a month for a family of 2 by HK middle class standard is more than plenty. In fact, you can live quite comfortably. Of cource it can't be compared to the US standard which includes a car and an average 1600 sf home. Food is cheap in general. But if you are used to romantic setting and class, there is no limit in food budget. You can get a 700 sf flat in Happy Valley for around 8-10k a month. Lots of expat live there. Clubbing can not be included in the budget because it can be a couple of thousands a month if you hang out drinking.


  8. #58

    helpful

    thanks for your replys.

    links - the position i will be taking up will be corporate sales and I was reffered for the position through the industry.

    tell me about your role in export trading. we export from australia to hong kong and will be looking to export fashion from australia to the uk - would you be of help to us?


  9. #59

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by austlondon2hk:
    thanks for your replys.

    links - the position i will be taking up will be corporate sales and I was reffered for the position through the industry.

    tell me about your role in export trading. we export from australia to hong kong and will be looking to export fashion from australia to the uk - would you be of help to us?
    well,

    I am now a project manager for a trading firm who export toys,gifts and stationary to US. Previously I work as a Sourcing manager for a Singapore company to set up their regional sourcing office in HK and China but the package was too low so I left when the HK office is done.

    I had worked in Fashion line before, Under the Pacific Brands from Australia, in their China operation. I was the purchasing team Leader for the Marks and Spencer account. I still keep in touch with the team of ex and current pac brands, from merchandiser to QA.I am also in good relation with the major material suppliers for UK and US market.

    Are you working for webster holdings? maybe we can chat in pm.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Kowloon-side, between work and pleasure
    Posts
    185

    Not sure about that housing allowance being atx exempt - look into that. A 10,000 rent is not impossible, especially if you are already used to small spaces. You can get a VERY nice place at Tiu King Ling for around 8600 (two bedrooms and amazing recreational/gym facilitiies) and a much quicker MTR ride to HK Island than if you locate in Tuen Mun. But, you may not need to go so far in either direction. I'm at the Flower Market on Kowloon side and love the area, convenient, interesting, and except for right now during Lunar New Year lead-up, quieter than friends' places on the island.

    Good luck and enjoy HK!

    John
    www.irmstrategies.com


Reply
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast