Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rani

20 foot container by sea?

Unhappy 20 foot container by sea?

This is what my husband's company is permitting us to ship from US to Hong Kong. We have a good size 2 bedroom place in San Francisco. Is anyone aware how much a 20 foot container will fit? I know apartments are smaller there, but I am a bit clueless.

http://www.shipit.co.uk/Movers_shipp...iner_Sizes.htm

According to this page, the 20ft container should be enough.

I'll see if I can get someone from one of the moving companies to pop in and provide some more details.

Wink Volume!!

A 20 feet container can hold 28.0 CBM (volume) of goods.
    You need to calculate the volume of each cartonbox you have.
    Example: If you have a carton of dimension (L x B x H) = (30.0 x 40.0 x 25.0)cms,
    then Volume = {(0.30 x 0.40 x 0.25)} or {(30 x 40 x 25)/1000000} = 0.03 CBM.
    In this case if all cartons were of same size as shown above then (28.0/0.03)= 933 cartons could fit into a 20 feet container. Good luck!!!

Last edited by Indi_glow; 25-10-2003 at 04:59 PM.

Personally, I think the question is not what fits in the container but what should come to HK. Depending on your current location, you'll want to think of the effect heat and humidity can have on furniture, art, etc.
    A colleague has suggested I get my artwork reframed with a proper seal or risk warping, mold, etc. Practically, I tend to leave the air con going. And the cost is HIGH (but fruit and flowers last longer ;-)

Another thought: size. Most North American furniture is going to be too big here - unless you have a very western (i.e. expensive) place. Checked out a flat in one of the newer, very nicely appointed places and was surprised to discover that closets are considered furniture (if you have a small wardrobe it will be handy). The large bedroom was truly the size of my dining room table in Canada. Living room ...well...compact. That's why I went for an older building - high ceilings, more spacious and more rooms. The stairwell and lift are a bit of a let down, but the light and mountain view is fine.

Good luck!

BWC.

Regarding your queries about the capacity of a 20' cntr., I would appreciate if you can give us a list of items, then we can estimate whether or not your items can be fit into it.

Thanks and look forward to receiving your list by return.

Selina Lum
    Customer Service Manager
    Santa Fe Transport International Ltd.
    [email protected]

Katiedot likes this.

shipping rates for 20ft container?

for a move to singapore from hk, i'm hoping to get an idea of what the rate per cubic foot would be. is around HK$34 per cubic foot sounding ok?

My husband's company pays for 2000 KG (4400 lbs) from the US to HK. We have a 4 bedroom home and two children. The container is coming this Friday and I am pretty sure it will be a 20 FT container. I can let you know on Friday. We aren't taking EVERYTHING but a good bit of stuff. Unfortunately, not our king size bed...bummer.

Update:

The container is loaded and on its way. 20' only half full. If you have a good moving company, 20' will be more than enough for all of your stuff. Some of the items we shipped include:
    1 set of bunk beds (including 2 twin mattresses)
    1 day bed (including 1 twin mattress)
    Dining table with 6 chairs
    2 club chairs
    1 desk
    Clothes
    Boxes of toys etc.
    Some ikea storage units

The movers had to build a barrier inside the container because only 1/2 is full. You will be fine.

Good luck.

Amy