NZ Family moving to Hong Kong in Feb 06

Closed Thread

Thumbs up NZ Family moving to Hong Kong in Feb 06

hi all looking for some tips re the following. searched many threads nothing quite answering what I am looking for.
    Secondary ESF versus Australian or American International Schools.
    What are the best ESF secondary Schools
    Best schools for mix of Sports (rugby, swimming, basketball, soccer) / academic
    Thoughts on family with tenagers and dog living in New Territories -need grass
    R dogs allowed on beaches round Stanley
    Current commuting times NT to Central

you need to narrow down what you mean by new territories... it is a huge area that encompasses too many possibilities....

one esf school is much the same as another esf school... esf has no debentures, whereas the two international schools you mentioned have...

dogs are abundant in DB, in sai kung, and much of the rest of hte NT....

dogs are NOT allowed on the gov't gazetted beaches...

Thanks, By Nt I was thinking clear water bay or Gold coast

In NT, Gold Coast (or Aegean Coast towers, across the road from GC) would have more options for pets, and a strong expat component there too. Aegean coast allows pets in the units...

But you will find signs on most beaches saying no dogs... along with the signs saying no roller blading, no skating, no bicycling, no running, no laughing, no smiling, no breathing

ESF schools are cheaper for starters, tho recently they have been losing alot of credibility due to subsidy reductions from the government. I would say it depends where you intend your children to go to university - ie. as in which country.. if the US, then HKIS would probably be your best bet, if UK then and ESF school and well if australia then it doesnt really matter Any school you choose will have decent enough facilities for all the sports you mentioned. You will find that alot of them dont have the facilities on site and the school will arrange transport to the nessacery places. - this is mainly due to hong kongs lack of space, or should i say expense of space!

On the location to live part of your questioning clear water bay is a really nice place and will probably suit you coming from NZ than alot of other places! It takes around 1 hour to commute to central from there bus + mtr (underground). Or if by car say 30-40 mins max. You will also get alot more for your money out in a place like that.. As said by someone in a previous post dogs are not allowed on any beaches so moving somewhere like clearwater bay that is basically one big park would again probably be ideal for the likes of a dog

Any other questions just shoot!

[disclaimer: I am personally biased towards CWB/Sai Kung area and proud to admit it]

My "kids" didn't go to school here but most friends' kids have gone to King George V (ESF) and they've been very pleased with it. Seems to offer all that you are looking for.

That's not far at all from CWB/Sai Kung area and this area, as Hughb2000 said, gives you all that you are looking for. I live a little further out, in the SK Country Park, which adds about 1/2 hr to the commute to town (I drive to the nearest subway station at Hang Hau and then catch the MTR - the parking rates are a steal at $5/hr). The whole region offers hiking trails at your doorstep, lots of open space, and almost everyone in the village communities has a dog or 2 or 3!

You'll get a bit of a feel for the area and you can ask specific questions about the area on the community website: www.exploresaikung.com

Happy moving!
    Judy

Thanks for all your help.

Don't even THINK about bringing along a NON- Multi-Standard TV - it will NOT work!

If you have any Manulife Insurance policies, watch out in the South China Morning Post adverts around Feb onwards. They offer HK$25,000 Scholarships + a loan of a debenture for Canadian International School to suitable "With It" kids.

My daughter benefitted from this - graduated - went to HK Uni of Science & Technology - and is presently just starting one semester at a French Uni in Nice... a requirement for her very restricted entry into her "Global Business" course in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Green:
    Don't even THINK about bringing along a NON- Multi-Standard TV - it will NOT work!
    Er, so the programmes I have watched for the last 7 years on my PAL-I (UK-standard, only) Sony TV using CableTV, NOW and terrestrial broadcast have just been figments of my imagination then?