Electrical goods from Aust

Closed Thread

Cool Electrical goods from Aust

Hi I have brought a few electrical items (such as hair straghtener, kettle, hi fi) to HK, where can I buy the power converter??

Thanks!

Converter for plug

Most ParknShop do sell some type of converters. However, for rare ones, you probably need to go to a local electrical shops. If you live close to a computer centre, like Wanchai or Mongkok computer centre (Wanchai and Mongkok MTR station respectively) the shops inside also have them for sell. Be sure to bring along your hair straightener to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama:
    Hi I have brought a few electrical items (such as hair straghtener, kettle, hi fi) to HK, where can I buy the power converter??

Thanks!
    Sham Shui Po has miriads of them for less than $5HK each. they have the Aussie to HK, and HK to Aussie. Take Exit A2 from SSP station into Aplui St (i think), and go to any one of the many street stalls selling the stuff. It's worth the trip to SSP anyways if you're a newby - lots of cool stuff there...

however, for convenience, most supermarkets (eg parknshop, as Andrew said) have them too, but they're generally about 3 times the price.

BTW, u dont need a power convertor, just a plug adaptor (sorry if you knew that, but just checking in case!!)
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 01-01-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Make sure the voltage is the same for HK and Auz. If not, you need a step up/step down voltage convertor. You can buy them by the truck load (and reasonably priced) in the mid-levels area in the little cluttered shops that seemto sell everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga:
    Make sure the voltage is the same for HK and Auz. If not, you need a step up/step down voltage convertor. .
    that's exactly what i said - you dont need one. the only difference is the HK/UK style plug.

220V AC, 50/60Hz. most Aussie/HK products are rated 220-260V AC.
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 01-01-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Drop is right, the voltage and ampage are the same. I have brought electrical goods from Oz to HK and they are absolutely fine.
    If you are staying for more than a few months I would suggest cutting off the old Oz plug and fitting a local one. Unless ofcourse it's got a transformer built into it.

Thanks everyone!!! i assume that I can take MTR to Sham Shui Po?

Well, I wouldn't go to SSP if I didn't have to. Its quite confusing there. Better to go to Mongkok, its the same. More or less, but at least more hospitable.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama:
    Thanks everyone!!! i assume that I can take MTR to Sham Shui Po?
    Yes, MTR to SSP, i think it is exit A2..