Like Tree2Likes

Natural disaster in HK?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

To the Peak and have hi tea.

But seriously, Claire if you were ever in a devastating earthquake, you will NEVER forget the experience for the rest of your life. You feel so helpless and alone, wondering if the shaking will ever stop. Meanwhile, everything in your surrounding was being destroyed and there was NOTHING you can do but to pray for your life.......... In a T10 typhoon, OTOH, as long as you are in a solid house/building, you needn't worry about anything and nothing is destroyed in your home.

Quake: 1989 Loma Prieta Quake

even if hong kong (in which the hk gov says is built to withstand vii strength) has an earth quake, i doubt it would really be that strong- even a 6 only causes minor damage...and keep in mind hkg has had a few minor shakes (read that on hk website somewhere)...while nothing is ever absolute, my money is that typhoon/flooding is probably the largest risk (landslide would only affect a small area) over the long term vs. an earth quake.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Reno, I never mentioned earthquakes, neither did my colleague. Why do you keep pressing that point when I was relating an anedote about typhoons?

Quote Originally Posted by campas12:
    Quake: 1989 Loma Prieta Quake

even if hong kong (in which the hk gov says is built to withstand vii strength) has an earth quake, i doubt it would really be that strong- even a 6 only causes minor damage...and keep in mind hkg has had a few minor shakes (read that on hk website somewhere)...while nothing is ever absolute, my money is that typhoon/flooding is probably the largest risk (landslide would only affect a small area) over the long term vs. an earth quake.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

True.....that was why I said HK was a pretty safe place to live. Here in the SF Bay Area, we dread everyday in anticipation of the "big one" which is already overdue 30 years +- but we still don't know when. That's really killing us. We thought the 1989 quake was the "big one". Unfortunately according to the scientists, it wasn't. The scientists predicted that the "big one" should be over 8.5 and it will be hundreds of times stronger than the 1989 quake.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Reno, I never mentioned earthquakes, neither did my colleague. Why do you keep pressing that point when I was relating an anedote about typhoons?
    Because he lives in the USA and trolls our forum... without ever really reading any of the posts, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    To the Peak and have hi tea.

But seriously, Claire if you were ever in a devastating earthquake, you will NEVER forget the experience for the rest of your life. You feel so helpless and alone, wondering if the shaking will ever stop. Meanwhile, everything in your surrounding was being destroyed and there was NOTHING you can do but to pray for your life.......... In a T10 typhoon, OTOH, as long as you are in a solid house/building, you needn't worry about anything and nothing is destroyed in your home.
    What a stupid thing to say. Seriously, are you that naive? What makes you think that people cannot be terrified as much or more by other natural disasters?
    You make earthquakes sound like so much worse than any other natural disaster.

Renotommy, if you were ever in a devastating {insert natural disaster here: earthquake/ typhoon/ cyclone/ hurricane/ tornado/ flood/ wild fire/ bushfire/ whatever} you will NEVER forget the experience for the rest of your life.

So, instead of trying to pontificate and make everything seem like it is all about you, sit back for a minute and use some common sense.

/now, where is that "ignore" function?

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    What a stupid thing to say. Seriously, are you that naive? What makes you think that people cannot be terrified as much or more by other natural disasters?
    You make earthquakes sound like so much worse than any other natural disaster.

Renotommy, if you were ever in a devastating {insert natural disaster here: earthquake/ typhoon/ cyclone/ hurricane/ tornado/ flood/ wild fire/ bushfire/ whatever} you will NEVER forget the experience for the rest of your life.

So, instead of trying to pontificate and make everything seem like it is all about you, sit back for a minute and use some common sense.

/now, where is that "ignore" function?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WRONG!

I must have gone thru 10 or 12 T10 typhoons in HK when I was a teenager, and yet I can't remember any of them even tho there were high casulty counts. Go ahead and ask those who had gone though the some typhoons in the 1960/1970 in HK and see how much they'll remember them. However, if you ask any person in SF regardless of what age, he/she will remember exactly what he/she was doing when the 1989 quake hit.

Why can't you just state your point without all these insults. They DON'T MAKE YOU MORE SUPERIOR. Did I ever insult you before? You believe what you do and I won't go into it anymore with you. Nuff said.

All this indicates is that you were self absorbed and unobservant even as a teenager.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    I must have gone thru 10 or 12 T10 typhoons in HK when I was a teenager
    Were you a teenager for a long time? The HK Observatory lists 11 T10 from 1960 to 1999. From 1960 to 1979, there were 9. And from 1980 to 1999, there were only 2.

Obviously the safest place in the world is in southern Africa. Did none of you guys watch the global government sponsored evacuation strategy named 2012?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast