Rent issues: bargain? furnished/unfurnished? & wat is it w swimming pools?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There's only me.. haha.. so i'm sure size of flats in Hk shldnt be much of a problem.

Lai chi kok's alittle far.. i would like to stay near Admiralty where i work.. so i guess HK island would be a better option. But the prices of newer estates w pools are crazy!

Lai Chi Kok is not that far! only 8 stops on the mtr and the station is less than 5 minutes from the development.

travelling 8 stops will only take 2o minutes max. And no changeover either!

well true.. but considering i will need to take a taxi when i go back frm LKF/soho after drinks and entertaining clients.. tt will be hell..

I'm looking at 10 mins frm office.. haha. i really hate long travelling time man!

Yeah, 20K will not get you far with new furniture. It really depends on whether your flat will already come with a wardrobe/closets. New, those can cost a bundle. A good mattress could easily set you back 10K alone. Of course, you can spend less at Ikea or on some Made in China bedding. If your employer is shipping things for you, then definitely ship the mattress.

As for a home entertainment system, just the words "home entertainment" conjures big bucks. Otherwise, as you said, if you buy stuff used, you can probably get a clunky old TV for less than a thousand dollars from a departing/upgrading expat.

Personally, I would not rent a furnished apartment. Local landlords have some of the tackiest furnishings I have ever seen, and they will skimp on all the fixtures. Take a close look at the bathroom and kitchen before you make any final decisions.

I'd say it depends on what you wanna do after HKG.

If you plan on staying 2 years and then going back then you better get a furnished one or at least half furnished. Saves you the hassle of searching for furniture....

If you plan on staying longer or staying only 2 years but use those 2 years to get some real nice furniture that you would ship home (ie nice furniture made in China), then look for unfurnish and go to Zhuhai/Zhonghsan to make your own furniture. It takes about 1 week end, but you can't find cheaper.

I'm staying in HK for at least 4 yrs man..

And i doubt i'll bother to go thru the hassles of finding a new apt and moving all over again.. honestly, i was thinking of getting a recommended contracter to do up the place so i'll have a comfortable living space for 4 yrs..

& becoz i'm looking at making 1 room into a walk-in wardrobe guess wat Mat suggested, the zhuhai/zhongsan idea is great! but where exactly is that? And are they reliable?

I would definately put your budget at least at 30-40k for furniture depending what you like, still worth it as the leases are usually for at least a year and if as you say it could cost 48k more for furnished then you may as well have stuff you like that you can keep if you want. Of course straight off you don't need everything so you don't need to take the hit all at once but yes coordinating the delivery to coincide with moving in is an exercise in logistics. Definately look closely at the apartment and you will probably find there is zero storage so you have to factor in the cost of wardrobes etc and measure the rooms before you shop - the size when its empty is quite deceptive. Think about getting some of it custom made ie: a sofa - 2 weeks from ordering to delivery. Ikea deliver and install but you pay for it and when a piece got damaged fixed it in about 3 days, Pricerite did all that for free. If you end up in a place without a lift you have to pay for delivery by the floor. Our building opened about a year ago and we've just been told the pool will finally open in March (license/inspection reason). Good Luck.

Andante, based on your requirements and expectations, it sounds like you need to come to HK first. Looking at the Internet is only a good reference since those apartments in all likelihood will be gone by March. If they aren't, then you really have to wonder...

If you really expect to stay four years or more, and don't want to move, then my advice is doubly true. Note that most leases are for 1 +1 year only, although you may find a landlord willing to go to 3 or 4 year deal if you can offer them a good rental yield.

tsuiwah,

i was in HK twice already just in dec/jan and i had to travel to EU for a while.. definitely not smart for me to make any more trips to HK just to view the apartment. PLus my co is paying for my 1st mth stay in a svs apt.. Hopefully i can find an ideal empty flat in a mth's time, furnish it and move in rite before the freebie expires.

Anyway, it's now less than 2 weeks till i've to get my ass to HK so i guess it's really time to look into the internet sites for apartments.

Thanks for ur tip btw, and u do sound pretty rite.. if the apt is there for months i better think twice abt taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by andante:
    tsuiwah,

Thanks for ur tip btw, and u do sound pretty rite.. if the apt is there for months i better think twice abt taking it.
    Not necessarily. With the improving property market rental prices are on the up.When it comes to setting rental pricing a lot of landlords may take the view that; a) they will make up for lost ground for the past few years of low rentals, and b) they cover themselves for future rental mkt increases. Accordingly it's not uncommon to see a lot of nice places unrented merely due to inflated prices. The locals will have their mind set on 2003/04/05 rental prices while the landlord is thinking 2006/07/08.