Like Tree17Likes

Do I bring my car or buy a new one?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Just an observation on the debate so far.

It has been suggested that there are two choices:

a) living in a small flat in mid-levels, playing computer games, never going out and living a blighted, meaningless existence

OR

b) living in the New Territories, owning a 4WD, exploring the countryside and living a meaningful life

I just wanted to suggest the possibility that it may be a little more complex than that.

For example, I have lived in HK for many years (both New Territories and, more recently, HK side), have never owned a car, and have regularly been camping, hiking and have explored pretty much every part of Hong Kong. If you've never lived in HK you may not realise just how easy it is to access the countryside using public transport. And if we want to take a load of gear to the countryside we just book a cab or a man-with-a-van.

So you got choices, that's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    If you've never lived in HK you may not realise just how easy it is to access the countryside using public transport.
    Indeed - the system of Green Minibuses in the New Territories in particular is great for getting to or from hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by donnaclews:
    Thanks gilleshk, your reply is not only factual but insightful.

Your passion for the environment is touching.

However, if you have nothing positive to contribute to this thread then please refrain from doing so.

Kindest regards,
    D.
    We live in the NT, hike every weekend traveling to the outer limits of HK and have no need of a car whatsoever. Gillesk has a point (and I don't often agree with him!) - and frankly I now love the fact that I can relax after a long day's work rather than having to get into the car and face the traffic. There is pretty much nowhere "nice" to drive in HK; parking is incredibly expensive and public transport is amazing. I have never before not had a car (usually two) but would certainly recommend you consider it before just assuming you need one. Also, a Discovery is WAY too large - the parking spots here are tiny and some of the roads really narrow .... the idea of driving down them in a large car just makes me shake my head. Get something smaller if you decide you really need one!

Everyone has a point but in the end, it all depends on where you live and how big your family is.

Living in the city, really no need for a car and you can save a bundle, out in the bonnies in proper villages (not like MI7 who lives in a place that has bars/mcd/restaurants/supermarket at her door step ), its helps if you have a car.

dont bother bringing your discovery to HK, get a second hand japanese suv or mpv here.

Football16 and Skyhook like this.

I think a word or two from drivers here about the quality of driving in HKG is required.

Makes anger management sessions seem like a necessary pre-requisite for obtaining a local license.
    Posted via Mobile Device

before importing a car into hong kong, there are several things to consider: the shipping costs to transport your car,
    the import paper work to show the department of transport the car's ownership, road worthiness etc etc and tax for your 6 year car....yes the hong kong goverment is waiting to take some money out of your purse to make you feel lighter,
    apply for the road licence -different charges for different vechicles including 4x4,
    and then there is the parking charges if you are living in an apartment with a car park, unlike in the uk where you can outside your house for free....this is hong kong - land is expensive....

i don't want to sound negative.

why make life more complicated and harder for yourself?

on a positive side:
    would you consider buying a car in hong kong ? if buying from a garage - all the paper work is taken care of.

Would a MPV be better than a 4x4? because there are no caravan to tow in hong kong and a MPV would have more space inside than a 4x4.

i know some people who import their cars into hong kong but they own their shipping companies and have people (secreataries) who will run back and fro from the transport department.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    I think a word or two from drivers here about the quality of driving in HKG is required.

Posted via Mobile Device
    i was wondering if being a driver or non-driver qualified one to make comments on driving in HK!!

i have driven motorbikes, cars and ridden bicycles in HK, yes, all in the NT. the only thing i have not driven in HK that I have driven in Sdney/Melbourne or in rural areas of Oz is a medium rigid truck.

I actually enjoy driving here much more than in Oz - very little aggression (indeed, the last time I felt like smacking a yobbo at the wheel, i looked at who was driving, a 300lb expat). a lot of stupidity, especially on weekends, but defensive driving pays off and becomes second nature (riding a motorcycle was good training!). out here in gold coast, i reckon i have the best stretch of road to get to work on - castle peak rd along the harbour besides Ting Kau, and Tisng Ma bridges, the view is second to none. little traffic. great for cycling or driving (or even sitting reading on a bus). other places in the NT are just gorgeous to drive thru.

getting a few kids onto mini buses and taxis can be a royal PITA.

on to the OP question - i think unless u have an obsession with your current car, sell and replace it here. move here and see if u really need one, or still really want one.
    Football16 likes this.

Rant alert lol

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Just an observation on the debate so far.

If you've never lived in HK you may not realise just how easy it is to access the countryside using public transport. And if we want to take a load of gear to the countryside we just book a cab or a man-with-a-van.

So you got choices, that's all I'm saying.
    Ahhhh is that so, grasshopper.

Lets create a scenario for our childless, car hating, city dwellers, shall I ?

Ever tried to take 3 children, between the ages of 1 and 4 anywhere on public transport, here? Why don't you try it, and tell me how easy it is, especially with a stroller....It's nice to have a carefully worded feel good fluffy bear opinion about things that really don't affect your life, but other people might have a different situation. They might even have a dog. Can't take them on public transport, can you ?

I don't know about you, but I think I would value my kids a lot more by getting to where we need to go in the shortest possible time, to minimise tears/tantrums, than aggravate them any more than necessary. Also factor in, that if one regularly goes for weekend picnics, ( nobody "normal " hikes with 3 very young kids) and other activity groups, with other upwardly mobile parents, your man with the van would cost you at least $800 a weekend return trip, which on a fiscal point of view, doesn't make any logical sense to me. Car ownership costs us. $286.54 per week, that includes fuel, vehicle depreciation,maintenance, road tax and insurance. WOW that's a lot isn't it... Hmmm I bet you drink more beer than that, don't ya digger ?

Stop assuming, that all expat car owners that live out in the NT are driving unnecessary, and if it allows a family with children any sort of suburban life, increasing time spent as a happy productive family, together on the weekends, then so be it. In my mind it's far more preferential than being walking distance from a pub or eatery, when most of us out here, cook fresh healthy food/meals at home. One of the great advantages of living in a house, you have LOADS of space to cook.

I bet your flat is 2.5 times more energy efficient than mine and you have double glazed windows, energy efficient appliances/ inverter a/c and so on. To reduce your lifestyles carbon foot print.....

Enough of the pseudo eco BS....

We probably spend less having a car than your family spends on public transport a month...

Cutting ones nose off to be as friggin impractical as possible, I don't particularly see as family friendly, because you think by not using a car, that you are really benefiting anybody. Go and stand on an overpass at peak hour and count all the delivery vehicles, that support your food and beverage lifestyle in the congested city, then deduct the few private cars from all the commercial vehicles. If you don't count 4 vans for every 1 car, I will go he.......
    If you want to bitch, consume less and less commercial transport will be on the roads 12/7.

Car Nazi's
    Last edited by Skyhook; 30-03-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    Beuze likes this.

I'm not saying you are wrong Skyhook, but I do know that if you bring a car, or buy one within 5 minutes of landing, that you are going to use it and it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy that it is absolutely necessary.

Our strategy was this. We move in, we move about for a couple of weeks on public transport and then "see how we feel" and would get a car then if necessary. That was 2.5 years ago. The "if necessary" never happened.

But, you are right, I live near a supermarket and restaurants and have no screaming brats. I might have discovered, if i had the kids, that necessary was more obvious! All I'd like to point out to the OP is that if she assumes a car is a necessity, she is missing out on the option to not have one, and that option does come with some large advantages for many (but not all) people - all pointed out already.

At the end of the day, the consensus seems to be that it makes more sense to buy a vehicle here than to import one.

In my mind (I don't drive here, no young kids) it would have to be one very special vehicle to waste time and energy on to make it worthwhile to import.

While many do fancy a vehicle for family life and convenience and can afford it, there are many HK locals who seem to take public transport irrespective of the challenges with young ones. Many have grand parents around to help out and that too is a factor.

Clearly for those of us in the urban environs with no families, there is not much need for a car. My local friend's brother had a car but had to sell it as none of the relatives wanted to waste their time to go out on a weekend while he wasted his time driving them around trying to find a parking spot. He said it became a bit of a joke.

Another HK local acquaintance lives in the NT, parks his car somewhere around Tin Hau - Fortress Hill and works in Central. He makes no claim to have any reason to do this but was used to having a car when he lived and worked in Australia. He has no kids.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast