Like Tree17Likes

Do I bring my car or buy a new one?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

How many more deaths is it going to take before something meaningful is done about the problem of red minibus drivers. I guess some things never change.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I find heavy vehicle drivers the most dangerous here, especially public light mini buses that tear around at moronic speeds with no regard for a safe braking distance. maybe that's why more than 3000 a year are involved in severe accidents.
    I'm not disputing it, but I'm lazy - do you have a link with the data behind that?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm not disputing it, but I'm lazy - do you have a link with the data behind that?
    The most recent data that i could find was for 2008 on HKTD website.

http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/...08figb.10e.pdf

PLB crashes probably has gone up since then though.

What is Hong Kongs goal "0 Accidents" haahaa, never meet that target As of 2003 the US Department of State reports that there are 523,767 licensed vehicles in Hong Kong and about 1,911 kilometres of roads, or 274 vehicles per kilometre of road.
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 31-03-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Gee, I'm not surprised at those statistics...

More private vehicles involved in road incidents in 2008 than light goods vehicles, public light buses and medium & heavy goods vehicles combined.

Not that these numbers in anyway exonerate the culprits behind the wheels in other types of vehicles, but telling nonetheless.

I wonder how many of those car accidents, were caused on roundabouts ? I have seen some real Richard Heads end up, upside down, or their cars tipped on their side. This was a common sight at the round about near the Thai restaurants in Mah On Shan at the Shatin end nearest the free way. A Roundabout I nicknamed: The Bermuda Roundabout.lol

I take much greater car entering roundabouts here, especially when turning right, than I would otherwise.

The statistic regarding PLB's that I was referring to,was in an article that got into the HK press, ( 2004) prior to seat belt mandate and installation of the silly LED speed display and warning buzzer when the driver hits 80kph or above.

I would have thought that a black box that records all vehicle data with the inclusion of some sort of transceiver that could record its route position ( via road side transponders ) and the speeds it travelled on, at various posted speed limited stretches, would be a much better system, with a random collection of data via police. PLB and Bus drivers when they do have an accident, end up with multiple passenger injuries/fatalities.

That article also gave a statistic of the age of the drivers, which majority of, who were involved in accidents,were below the age of 25.
    The article I am pretty sure was in the SCMP, it was a hard copy, back in 2004, when there was a bit of an uproar about PLB reckless driving.

Looking at the latest PLB figures on the TD website, it appears fewer PLB's were involved in accidents over the last 3 years, in the order of around 1100 a year, which is still alarming, but a positive improvement.

Last edited by Skyhook; 31-03-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

If I had my way I would start issuing post $10,000 fines to Red mini bus owners who encourage their drivers to drive dangerously, like their tail is on fire, and enforce a fair rate of pay, so they don't need to take risks on public roads, like the Green ones.
    Well maybe if they didn't have to fork out ~100.000 HKD a year in PROTECTION money they would drive at a more reasonable speed, not having the need to make more money to satisfy the local mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Well maybe if they didn't have to fork out ~100.000 HKD a year in PROTECTION money they would drive at a more reasonable speed, not having the need to make more money to satisfy the local mafia.
    That's another consideration, CID needs to grow a pair, and set aside some comprehensive undercover resources, to stamp that sort of nasty business out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Gee, I'm not surprised at those statistics...

More private vehicles involved in road incidents in 2008 than light goods vehicles, public light buses and medium & heavy goods vehicles combined.

Not that these numbers in anyway exonerate the culprits behind the wheels in other types of vehicles, but telling nonetheless.
    The figures do require a bit more thought, and remember some vans are classified as Private Cars.

For example, according to same year 2008 and according to the traffic census Transport Department - The Annual Traffic Census 2008 there were 383,141 licensed Private Cars, 18,115 Taxis, and 4,350 PLB which when turned into percentages of accidents look like:

Private car 1.55%
    Taxi 21.67%
    PLB 24.83%

Haven't bothered with the rest but kinda speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    The figures do require a bit more thought, and remember some vans are classified as Private Cars.

For example, according to same year 2008 and according to the traffic census Transport Department - The Annual Traffic Census 2008 there were 383,141 licensed Private Cars, 18,115 Taxis, and 4,350 PLB which when turned into percentages of accidents look like:

Private car 1.55%
    Taxi 21.67%
    PLB 24.83%

Haven't bothered with the rest but kinda speaks for itself.
    The beauty of statistics is that you can manipulate the data and show the results that suits your argument best.

Were we to take the number of km/hours that each type of vehicle spends on the road for example and have accidents per hour or km driven the results might be different...

I don't know of any country where people don't complain about taxi/truck drivers...

Indeed and as mentioned a good proportion of Toyota Hi-Ace vans are actually registered as private cars so that could well scew it even more.

Skyhook likes this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast