HK life for an Italian

Closed Thread

HK life for an Italian

I have been here in Hong Kong perfectly two weeks today and I now can say I LOVE IT. I did not really know what to think at first, after a long flight from Italy and some food poisoning probably from the street meat balls at night that cost me some days in bed...

The culture here is very different from what I am used to in Italy and in Toronto where I have been living for some years and where I take for granted that everyone speaks English. Hong Kong surprised me as a city that has a strong spirit, local people are very proud of being from here. They do not try too much to speak English, I thought the level of English was going to be higher, having stayed in Singapore for some time in the past.

I was also surprised not to see too many foreigners in the first week here. I seem to be the only Italian here!! Now with the Chinese New Year festivities I saw a lot more around, but I think a lot of them are just tourists not staying here 6 months like me... of course i have been to Lan Kwai Fong a lot of times and I find it great for the bars and life and very international, but some nights is quite slow, I wonder what other areas are happening at night...

It would be nice to meet up with some international people for just some meal or a drink, I will be here for six months and I really enjoy having a good time with other internationally minded. Drop me a line if you wish and let me know of any event organized by the international crowd. I am in LOVE with HK> CIAO

Thomas

Tom,

You might find this site interesting:

www.italiansonline.net

Just check the HK section.

Cheers

Italian Bloke,
    thanks a lot for your message. I already joined the site and it seems there are a few dozens Italians living in HK. Given your nickname I'd like to ask, are you Italian? Do you know any in this forum? CIAO
    Thomas

An Italian moving to HK

Ciao Thomas,
    it was very nice to read you.
    I have been couple of times in HK and had the same feeling at the very beginning and thought, what am I gonna do here, I am the only Italian..And then it was very nice to see that it is just full of different people and now I love it as well. You must be now settled there and very happy among these marvellous Chinese!
    I will move there at the beginning of March and maybe we could be in touch by then. It would be nice.Otherwise good luck!

Smile

Luana,
    thanks for your message. I am actually loving it and I really have no problem meeting new people, being very socially active (very Italian). Yet when I am abroad I always somewhat like to keep in touch with the Italian community, it reminds me of my roots. You will love HK and yes, it is nice to keep in touch. CIAO