S.O.S - Moving and work in HK

Closed Thread

S.O.S - Moving and work in HK

Hi everyone,

I'm now planning to move and develop my career in HK. Recently, I'm work as an accounts executive in Malaysia. I'm keen to seek for any job opportunities in HK no matter in any filed.

I have go thru the HKSAR Immigration website, I'm wish to enter and work in HK legally, but its seem not an easy task to get the work permit there.

Really appreciate if you could assist to answer my queries below:

1) I'm plan not to further my accounting career in HK as the local company can easily get the candidate from the job market. I would like to apply translator position as I could speak more than three language (multilingual), is this kind of job would be easy to get the work permit?

2) Regarding migrate to HK, what is the requirement to be HKSAR citizenship, not really understand what kind of requirement they need for applying the citizenship. With my acadmic qualification and work experience in MNC, would it be the advantage for applying the citizenship?

Billion thanks for your reply!

Hi,
    1) In answer to your first question,
    (i) it depends on which languages in which you have knowledge/skills
    (ii) it also depends on whether or not you have any qualifications (in traslation/interpretation or otherwise) relevant to the field of work in which you wish to engage. I guess to gain a job successfully, you should have knowledge of languages OTHER THAN, AND INCLUDING Chinese- PUtonghua, Cantonese, and English. In this case, it'll be easier for you to secure a job.
    (Or- your Malaysian connections/knowledge- if you can find a job in a Malaysian, or Malaysian-related firm/job here in HK)

2) Regarding "citizenship"-
    (i) First of all, as HK is NOT a nation state( as Malaysia is)- there is no such status as HKSAR "citizenship". What you can apply is CHINESE citizenship.
    (ii) Merely having Chinese citizenship is NOT sufficient for you to be eligible to work in HK without a visa. Actually being a PERMANENT RESIDENT IN HK will suffice (notwithstanding your nationality status). THus, applying for CHinese citizenship might NOT give you much advantage in practical terms.

-- To become PR in HK (which may be more beneficial to you in your case), you'd need to settle in HK for 7 years continously to get this status.

hope this helps.