"new" to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

actually if no doesn't mind the travel. apparently Taikoo is a nice place to live.

then again, that was the result of asking friend and these few month of flat hunting.

I am a Singaporean going to HK.

Where do you live in Singapore West Cove? I would have a fair idea as to what sort of a place you would be looking for.

cheers

oops i forgot to add...

according to what my friends who were working before in HK. Alway check the toilet system of any apartment.

*remember the Amoy garden SARS scandal?

*grinz

Oh give me a break.. "Amoy Gardens" and toilets ... give me a break!

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

SARS?

I agree with shri, let's put things in perspective here! SARS wasn't as bad as some of the other stuff that hit HK a long time ago!

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Checking out toilet systems wouldn't be a bad idea in any event.

If Amoy Gardens had a scandal, I must have missed it!

Anyway, WestCove is coming over from Singapore, not USA, and so is bound to know a thing or two about SARS.

Lightbulb

West Cove, where will you be working? HK is extremely easy to get around and you need not go for the conventional (and probably won't if you want to save a few bucks). I work in Kwun Tong, with another office nea the Gold Coast (Kowloon West) and business in Central. So, I live smack in the middle near Boundary (Kowloon Tong - Prince Edward area) and pay under 16k for a spacious, 3 bdrom with balcony and green views. If you are strictly into expat life, the Island may suit you better.

Friends live at Tin Hau paying under 14k for a 2 bdrm with large living room, 2 bths and storage.

People I know paying under 10k are usually sharing and the total flat rate exceeds 30k. I have been shocked at what some people get for 30k - awful. And, I have been amazed at what some get for 14k - fabulous. THe thing is - leave TIME to look, and pace yourself in the looking. I settled for an old building with no services to gain larger space, high ceilings and lots of light in minimalist (in a trendy kind of way) finished place in an area that feels like a neighbourhood. People lecture me all the time that I'm paying too much. Could be I could get a place for less, but finding an equivalent mix of factors has not been possible so far.

Check out transport, imagine the travel time in the appalling heat of July, or in a monsoon, scout shopping and if your job's like mine, remember you'll have time for that on your way home at around 9pm. Check the NOISE in the neighbourhood, and pick a level that keeps your air con and windows out of the worst pollution on a windless day. Notice the sightlines from other apratments. I have friends who never see light in order to gain privacy. Thank my lucky starts for the position of my place!

Good luck and have fun - there ARE some real finds (like a three story chinese house I found for 10K - if you're willing to pay for the renos). Have fun!

J

taikoo

taikoo is good if you work in quarry bay.. like what i do. 2 mins commute with only 30yds not air conditioned. sad but then i am a fat git.

gohome.com.hk is the best site and there are places listed on there for under $9k, just remember it is all about location (eg. traffic noise) and promixity to your work place.

Hi JJexpat:

I am still planning where to live in HK where I return around Feb 04. Fristly I thought about Discovery Bay, then HK Island, but found both to be expensive and also found DB quite inconvenient (no direct taxi home). Which brings me to my point.

I am now actively looking at places near Kowloon Shing area; it is near Kowloon Tong and Prince Edward. The reason for choosing this location is close proximity to food, and probably better bang per buck. My budget is around 10,000, but willing to pay a bit more if need be for a two decent size 800-1000 sq ft bedroom place with relative quiet surroundings.

I lived in an older property there before the airport was moved, and still remember the plane noises, and also watched it go past on the roof. I found them a lot better than newer properties, and hope to found one when I am back. Places around College Road is ideal, with mini bus to Kowloon Tong MTR & KCR, buses to HK Island, etc.

Maybe buy you a drink when I am there next year. (need friends….!!!)

Boy

Sure - give a shout when here. Here's my ryze page for a bit of info: http://www.ryze.com/go/ISIGLobalJohn

CHeers-
    J

Apartment in Kowloon areas

Hi All,

I am so pleased to receive many nice comment and response to my post "New to Hong Kong" regarding apartment search.

I just find out that my employer office is in Kowloon Areas (close to train station) commercial district. So I think I may be better off to look for an apartment that is easy to access via subway MRT. From there to New Territory or somewhere in between, within 20 minutes communte time, any good apartment to recommend?

The criteria, 1000+sq, clean and mid-to upper range with easy shopping, hospital and kinder Garden for my baby

Appreciate the good reference. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone:-)