graduate positions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

graduate positions

I am going to finish university in australia by the end of this year, and i really want to move to hong kong in 2007. I guess what im asking is do i apply now, or wait until later, and if so how are the interviews conducted. Do i have to fly over there or do they conduct interviews in your country of origin? Any help would be apprecaited

nicko

Do you have the right to work in HK? If not then it will be very hard for you to find a new graduate position for which Immigration is willing to approve an Employment Visa...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Do you have the right to work in HK? If not then it will be very hard for you to find a new graduate position for which Immigration is willing to approve an Employment Visa...
    then how do all these other people come to hk? I see a lot of threads where people say they are coming to hk with not many $$$ and 'am i crazy?'

They are probably just coming to stay with friends or relatives but don't currently have any plans to work. Getting a visitor visa is a lot easier than getting a work one.

OR they arent going to be working the field they have just graduated in and are trying their luck as NET teachers like I did

you can get a work visa and try living in HK that way (if thats what you really want to do!)

well how did all you guys make it in HK?

any advice?

Nicko

What field are you in? There'll be different answers and approaches to your job search dependant on this, including what sort of initial experience you'll need to make yourself marketable here down the track. It's quite rare for HK companies to conduct campus interviews in Oz for graduate jobs and it's going to be highly unlikely to not have to come here for interviews. If you're an Oz passport holder you're eligible for the working holiday visa to HK but that is very limited in terms of how much you can work and as fresh graduate won't make your job search in HK any easier.

s2000 - the very vast majority of expats working in HK for MNCs or in financial services were transferred here by their companies. It's not unusual for people to come here on their own accord to look for work (other than English teaching) but without appropriate skills, language abilities and salary expectations the chances of finding something in HK as a foreigner is slim.

Hi Niko,

Most of the large companies (e.g. multi-nationals) do accept applications from oversea but the only thing is you have to fly yourself back to HK for an interview. This means you want to figure out when will be the best time that suits you to do these things because you want to maximise your trip and you don't want to fly back to HK three times for one interview for each of the trips.

Cheers,
    Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko:
    I am going to finish university in australia by the end of this year, and i really want to move to hong kong in 2007. I guess what im asking is do i apply now, or wait until later, and if so how are the interviews conducted. Do i have to fly over there or do they conduct interviews in your country of origin? Any help would be apprecaited

nicko

Hi,

Does anyone have a list of multi-national companies in HK or a website listing them? It would be greatly appreciated if you could post a few names up if possible. Cheers!

Here's a list of banks. It's far from complete (i.e. a lot of major Euro and US IBs are missing) but it's a start:

http://www.hongkong.alloexpat.com/ho...s_hongkong.php

Getting a list of MNC would be a bit more difficult given the diverse nature of industries so I'd narrow your google searching down to "construction/pharma/IT companies in Hong Kong". I did the same for PE/VC and Hedge fund firms and came up with a few good lists.

Last edited by nation; 23-02-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast