"Current" account

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    "perambulator" is a perfectly valid English word. OK - so it's more often spoken in the abbreviated form "pram", but that is the correct English word for what it describes. A native English speaker (i,.e one from England) would have no problem with this - it's only those of you who speak foreign dialects that have the problem. (And you would be pretty much lost speaking the Scottish or Singaporean dialects of English I guess).
    PDLM, I'm not disputing 'perambulator' is a correct English word. My point is, even in the UK today, we don't use this word. Which leads me to my second point. I am a British born Chinese, and my English is as native as it gets! I'm also a qualified CELTA teacher for your information. In my experience I would argue that not many native UK English speakers would know what the word 'perambulator' is, as it's simply not used or used very rarely.

Shouldn't this be taken to another thread?

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

'Lift' is a regular British-English term for 'elevator' and certainly not a slang. You think it would be posted in buildings everywhere and officially in documents if it were informal or a slang?

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by HKFella:
    'Lift' is a regular British-English term for 'elevator' and certainly not a slang. You think it would be posted in buildings everywhere and officially in documents if it were informal or a slang?
    OK some of my examples aren't strictly slang. Call it "british english" if you will. I am still learning more "british english" the longer I spend in Hong Kong. On another "expat" forum, I saw that someone wanted advice on buying "knickers".. I laughed my ass off when I found out she was talking about underwear

BTW I was never saying that one way of speaking is more 'wrong' than another (although with british accents, that's another story.. I can't even watch british shows without turning on the subtitles).

Quote Originally Posted by **:
    No Kostas.. Original topic should be rephrashed.
    HAhaha... yeah.. I guess so

"British English"? Is that like "Italian Parmesan"?

More like English is to British as Pizza is to Italian ... abused, corrupted, evolved...