Living Expense

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Living Expense

We are looking to move to HK from the US. I have a offer on the table for around 55k per month with around 12K of that going toward housing allowance. My wife doesn't work and we have a 6 year old and 2 year old. Can we live comfortably on that amount of money. I have found a 1200 sq. ft flat in Causeway Bay that is 5 minute walk to work, which is the reason for living there. I would welcome any suggestions on other places to live with a short commute. One other thing what are the average cost for schools for my 6 year old. Is homeschooling legal for expats.

Thanks in advance

Try doing a search (over on the left hand side of the page), there was a long thread about home schooling not too long ago. Also search for Happy Valley - close to CWB and recommended by many.

Thanks Larac

Any advice on the living expenses

Thanks in advance

As Iarac said, do a search. there are numerous threads on living expenses and schooling costs. alternatively, if you look at the bottom of the page, some related threads are already listed for you. If you have more specific questions, most forum members are more than happy to help, but do some reading first

try this:

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6735

but also do a search on "living expense", or salary etc, you will get a lot more info

DDF

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 25-03-2006 at 08:44 AM.

Living expenses with two kids

I have read all the similar threads but know of them seem to talk about the expenses that come with having two kids, any of the threads that mention kids seem more focused on DB or further out areas. I am pretty sure that I am getting a fair salary for what I do. I guess my main concern is the cost of school for my 6 year old.

You should be able to do quite well on your salary. try the following threads, they may help

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showth...ghlight=school

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showth...ghlight=school

Looking where to live

Should we look on the Kowloon side, how long is the commute to Caueway Bay

thanks

CWB is well serviced but the MTR (underground), trams and buses if you live on the Island, much more limited if you live Kowloon side. If you have a choice I would stay Island side - more wetern and more convenient. Look up ypmap.com to get an idea of location.

CWB has the worst air pollution. Not the best for kids. Happy Valley is certainly better. Do you want to tell us the address of the flat you've found.

Rani

Apologies for the terrible spelling on my previous post. HK Island is much more Western and CWB is well serviced by public transport. A common recommendation on this site is to take a serviced apartment for a month or so when you first arrive so you can suss things out and get a feel for the place yourself. You could easily get a serviced apartment in Happy Valley or CWB to start with if that is where you think you want to be.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast