salary negotiation

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Applefan

Forget about what your boss said. one thing you never do is to trust your boss. his/her interest is not on you but how to use you to make him look good. therefore of course he/she would try to minimise cost.

my friend who works for a big bank also was paid HK$150,000 for relocation cost plus business class air ticket + a month of service apartment. dont let your boss play you around. you deserve it. do you know how much it would cost if they dont pay you relocaton cost ? its a lot of money out of your pocket.

hinman

I totally agree with that, don't let your immediate boss be responsible for your career, at the end of the day he/she doesn't care and will do what's best for them. If you have to go above them, them so be, look after yourself first.
    I say this from personal experience, I work in IT development in London for a european investment bank with it's main asia office in tokyo. I went over there last year to do some support work for them for a few months then came home, I could have stayed but I didn't like tokyo a great deal. Last year I started hearing rumours that the support job I'd done in tokyo (I recruited a person to take over from me when I came home) was being moved to singapore instead. Now I'd been looking to get a job specifically in singapore or HK for months and registered my interest with my immediate boss. However, as it would involve me leaving his development team and going into support it would mean he would be a man down, so he never put me forward for it. I just assumed that they'd changed their minds because I didn't hear anything, and I only found out that they were going ahead when I spoke to the support team manager and he told me they'd already recruited someone in singapore! To say I was unhappy is an understatement, especially when I told the support team leader I'd have been interested in the job and he said he didn't know because no-one had told him and he'd have been happy for me to go there and do it
    As it turns out, another opportunity came up to go to singapore but by that time I'd already been offered a far better job with another company in HK (I arrive next month), they tried to get me to stay by using singapore as the bait but as I'd been offered HK anyway it wasn't enough. So the long and short of it is, because one guy didn't care about my career wishes his team is a man down anyway and the company loses my skills (I know that makes me sound arrogant, I'm not, but loads of people are leaving the company because it's such a crap place to work and they're going to be in trouble soon).

Anyway, sorry about the rant there. The moral of the story is look after yourself and don't rely on anyone to do it for you. Do what you've got to do. Good luck