where should I live if I work in Kowloon Tong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

where should I live if I work in Kowloon Tong?

Hello

I'm moving to Hong Kong fairly shortly and need some advice with deciding on the area to live in. I want to spend around 12-14,000 per month between me and a friend for a 2 bed place. We're both in our late 20's so we want somewhere with a bit of life but not too worried if its a short ride away. Is it better to live on the island or Kowloon? How long does it take from Kowloon to the Island? We're both from London so we're used to a 45 minute commute anyway but I really have no idea about anything and would love someone to help me!!!

You could stay in the new territories and look for a place in sha tin which is not too far away, good facilities etc and not too far to travel to hk island either.

From say Sha tin to HK island is less than 30 minutes as you can get the kcr to TST east.

If you live near a KCR station, then you can get to HK Island from Shatin in 30 minutes. However, if you near to connect to the KCR, you'll have to add more time. Also, the MTRs and KCRs stop running rather early so if you end up staying out late, you'll end up taking a taxi all the way back to the NT. Shatin is a great place, don't get me wrong, but I just want to share my experience (used to live in Shatin).

Why not Kowloon City? You have so many restaurants and so much life there.

Yeah I agree, I'd suggest areas around Kowloon Tong, it's always better to stay in Kowloon if you wanna have a better connection to different areas in HK (HK Island, Kowloon, NT, Outlying Islands)

Cheers, Blom

thanks guys
    So is Kowloon City a good place to be for nightlife as well? If you live in Kowloon is there enough to do in the evening not to be going over to the island all the time?

no worries, even you take taxi from island to kowloon, it's not so expensive, only costs hk50 around, so, you should find a flat which is near from your workplace, cheeeeers kylie

good places for nightlife are central n wanchai on hong kong island, or tsim sha tsui in kowloon. but seems nightlife on hong kong island is more vibrant. staying near kowloon tong seems better though, maybe prince edward road or somewhere around that area, but i'm not sure about the rent. living in sheung wan or causeway bay in hong kong island is another option, close to central and wanchai, but then it takes about 20 mins to go to kowloon tong by mtr.
    maybe you could have a look at a few apartment first, see which one you like, transportation in hong kong is pretty convenient, and public transporta can take you to almost everywhere. hope this helps.

I would suggest living on HK island if you want atleast some nightlife. That way you can be heading homeward when going for a drink in LKF, Wanchai or Taikoo Place. This would be inconvenient if you lived in Kowloon or the NT.
    If I had my time again I would choose Sai Ying Pun, Wanchai, Happy Valley, Fortress Hill, Taikoo Shing and Kornhill Gardens. At a pinch you might be able to afford somewhere in Mid-Levels.

I second discobay's opinion. I live in the mid-levels and i'm very happy here you can't beat a $15-20 cab ride home from lan kwai....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast