Marriage outside Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marriage outside Hong Kong?

Hi there,

I will be getting married this year to a Hong Kong PR (I am an Australian living in Asutralia). We are yet to decide which country to get married.

My question is......does the HK govt/immigration dpt. recognise marriages outside of Hong Kong?

I will be applying for HK residency once we are married and it would be great to know anything that I should to help make the transition a smooth one.

Cheers
    CB

Emigra

It does not matter if you get married in Hong Kong or Australia, your marriage will be recognised if arranged in Australia. Once you have got married you may then apply for a Dependant Visa (this will also allow you to work in Hong Kong). After 7 years of continuous stay in Hong Kong you may then apply for permanent residency.

Last edited by Emigra; 06-01-2004 at 04:30 PM.

Absolutely not a problem. The local immigration department accepts marraige certificates from overseas.

Emigra

hello

That's true

Marriage between men

The Uk will be aknoledging partnership rights between 2 males this year, and couples can registar in the UK. Will this be aknowledged as a partnership in HK, ie allowing the partner to obtain a dependant Visa?

Thanks guys,

Don't worry, my fiance is a lady. And a fine one at that!!

CB

Emigra

hello

"The Uk will be aknoledging partnership rights between 2 males this year, and couples can registar in the UK. Will this be aknowledged as a partnership in HK, ie allowing the partner to obtain a dependant Visa?"

Unfortunately at the moment Hong Kong does not recognize this for a dependant visa application.

Thats true about the UK but from what I gather no date has been set yet.

I got married 4 years ago in Canada. Does my spouse have to be in HK with me even though she has a job in Canada? I have a place and enough money to support myself in HK.

Emigra

hello

Yes she does, that is why it is called a Dependant visa, becuase you are dependant on someone in Hong Kong.

Dependant Visa

Quote Originally Posted by Emigra:
    It does not matter if you get married in Hong Kong or Australia, your marriage will be recognised if arranged in Australia. Once you have got married you may then apply for a Dependant Visa (this will also allow you to work in Hong Kong). After 7 years of continuous stay in Hong Kong you may then apply for permanent residency.
    "you have got married you may then apply for a Dependant Visa"

Is it that simple? Any other requirements for my spouser? (like a stable job, a decent income, an apartment...etc)

Thank you in advance.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast