Should I move to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should I move to HK

Hi,

New to the forum but I just wanted some advice from anyone who may know.

I have been offered a job in Hong Kong and I now have a couple of days to decide whether to accept it.

My main conerns is that I am a single 23 year old male and this will be the furthest In have moved from home (UK) and i just wanted to know how easy it is for people to meet and make friends in HK?

I have been offered a wage of just under20k and would also like to know if this will be enough to live ok in HK.

Finally, would ppl recommend moving there on a whole as I fear that should I turn it down I may regret the opportunity.

Any info would be very much appreicated!!

Thanks

Hi,
    I am also new in this forum. Welcome!
    Think HK is a fun place and easy to make friends. However rental here is quite expensive. Of course, depends on where you wan to live. If you take this offer, where is your office? You may consider to live near your office in order to save some transportation cost and time. Besides rental, the rest is quite ok in HK.
    Good luck!

Do it.

You only live once and you are young. If you don't like you can always go back to the UK.

My husband and I moved out here only 3 months ago and we have met loads of people. HK is very friendly.

Money-wise 20k should be plenty for a young single guy. My husband and I spend 20k a month total for two people on bills, eating out and going out for a few drinks once a week but we are not big drinkers.

Rent is extra but you can flat/house share and pay not very much rent at all. 20k all up for one person should be fine.

Alcohol is expensive and you will not be able to go out everynight but you probably can't do that in UK anyway.

Also, if this job fits in well with what you want to go career-wise then this is another bonus. I think this is a great opportunity for a 23 year old.

Go for it.

Let me know if you need any more advice.

If you can negotiate with your company for it to shoulder your accommodation expenses (flat rental + utilities) -- which quite a number of companies readily agree to -- 20k is more than enough for a single 23-year old.

An international posting is always good on one's resume. :-)

Thanks to all who have replied so far!

The exact details of wage at the moment is £19, 750 per annum and £550 per month living costs. Not sure how that translates to HK dollars though.

My fear is that wage would only just be enought o scrape by in London and, as I undertand it, HK is more expensive...

I don't think it is more expensive than London, at least for a 23 year old. The exchange rate is 14 HK dollars for 1 pound. There is a section on this site that will tell you how much things cost in HK so you can compare your budget. I think you'll find it goes farther in HK, especially for things like clothing and consumer electronics.

Your salary, at 14x1 is $23,106 HK a month, plus $7.721 HK for housing. I think you will probably want a little more than a $7,721 HK housing place, but maybe not.

My advice is take the opportunity. I found expats in HK were easy to approach and get to know than people back home. I think there is a commonality of being 6,000 miles from home and facing the same challenges that creates a certain 'ice breaker' by which you can start a conversation with people rather easily.

And, as other said, if you don't like it, go back home. It's not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:

Your salary, at 14x1 is $23,106 HK a month, plus $7.721 HK for housing. I think you will probably want a little more than a $7,721 HK housing place, but maybe not.
    If that exchange rate is correct then you are even better off.

$7.7k for housing can be enough if you don't live right in the centre of HK. Even in Happy Valley you can find decent studios for that price. The max you should consider paying is 10k per month I would say leaving you a very nice healthy sum of $20k per month to enjoy yourself with.

Also, remember you will pay a very low tax rate compared to the UK.

Do it!

Meant to add, I'm going over as a Journalist and they are taxing me as though I was still in the UK as I am getting paid in pound sterling, will this be good or bad?

Also, will there be plenty of scope to meet people of a similar age group?

Thanks again, all your info has been a great help already!

i came to HK at the height of its "expensiveness" back in 1995 as a 22 year old straight out of uni... didn't know a soul and held down 5 jobs in order to earn a measly $15-18,000... so i think that you should be able to live quite comfortably on $20,000 (but i took a pt job in a pub to meet people and have my "couple of drinks") you won't be able to do that now though....

Even with just under 20k and no housing allowance...you'll be doing a little better than scraping by man. You'll also be in a great place to see the rest of Asia from I'm planning on heading out to Cambodia soon...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast