Am I being impractical?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm an ABC too, and from others who I have talked to who have either done a year abroad in HK or have spent significant time there, there is an overall feel that it's not a seamless transition into the culture (ex. there is a divide between natives and the ABCs/american students)... I guess what I am trying to say is even if you were to study at HKU, you are still at a disadvntage.

I've also heard from many people that a degree in the USA is more powerful than one from HK. Yes, HKU, HKUST, etc are great schools, but a lot of it is a name thing too. How many people know of and have heard of HKU, compared to how many have a general knowledge of Stanford, Yale, NYU etc? I think it would benefit you to get a degree in the states and then try to get internships, etc in HK during the summer to get your foot in the door (kind of like what I am doing now =)

Ouch...my worst fears confirmed. I always had a bitting suspicion that a US degree would be valued more. I'm sure the academics at HKU are fine and I've already turned in everything so it's a bit late. I hope I didn't make that big of a mistake in choosing to study here.

How feasible is it to get an MBA from the US after doing an undergrad here? Will I be disadvantaged because of where I got my degree? I know MBA programs consider work experience and GMAT. It's silly of me to think about this so early in the game but I've already began to kick myself for coming here. Hopefully, HKU will turn out fine and provide me with some decent opportunities.

U think too far ahead :-)
    Take it one step at a time. Get your undergrad degree at HKU and then you will see..You never know what can happen in 3/4 years....
    I know of some grads from HKU or HKUST who landed very good and well paid job after graduation..
    By the time you finish you degree (3/4 years), work a bit (4/5 years)..almost 10 years would have passed....at that time maybe MBA in Asia (India for example) would be more valuable than in US......

Macoltrane - No definitely not silly of you to be thinking about MBAs this early in the piece. When you get to the MBA stage you'll be amazed how many people have been planning it for years prior. That or they've been able to spin an excellent story to explain their moves and fit that into the schools they're applying to. As you will more than likely be applying to US based schools although the admission staff claim to understand the universities across the globe the reality is their understanding of O/s schools is minimal. For eg if the grading at HKU is significantly tougher than that of say a Harvard, apart from the arbitrary GPA conversion tables that are available they wouldn't really understand and accordingly credity you for that. But then again you've got the diveristy and intl exposure card to play.

Just be prepared that the landscape does change rapidly - what is a relevant course of action today may not be as valuable 5 years down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by francine_dee:
    hk is basically china now and nobody wants to come here anymore.
    Hk lost a bit of its appeal...but it is still far to be China...Everybody speaks about the chinese development blablabla..it is true..the country is growing fast...but dont forget that 2/3 of the country is still very very poor and underdevelopped...

Shanghai is growing also...but to be fair HK still has a couple of good years ahead...

absolutely agreed with Mat, everybody acknowledges the uprising of china economy because the media is always "bs"ing and over-exagerrating about the growth of the china economy. In fact, the rich/poor gap in china is getting wider each day.

Francine: "Hk is going downhill" how come all those chinese companies cannot wait to come to HK or even in US to get listed/IPO? where is Shanghai?? Hello??? Yes. Shanghai is growing... but I still think HKG still has this advantage over Shanghai in term of the financial market. The market speaks the truth.

terms of growth and opportunity shanghai is the place to be
    Shanghai is where you go for the big hustle. Hong Kong still remains a place where business can get done without hearing the line "I know someone who is a general in the PLA".

Quote Originally Posted by athena:
    Hi Macoltrane
    Say for Management Consulting firms, Management Trainee or marketing positions – they would most likely require a certain level of Chinese proficiency.
    I think for management consulting, it is not a requirement. I know of a lot of expats working in management consulting in HK.

I honestly feel that an Ivy League school in the US is a much better choice compared to schools in Asia in getting a multinational job - especially if you want to go into management consulting, investment banking, and other high profile jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by nation:
    As you will more than likely be applying to US based schools although the admission staff claim to understand the universities across the globe the reality is their understanding of O/s schools is minimal. For eg if the grading at HKU is significantly tougher than that of say a Harvard, apart from the arbitrary GPA conversion tables that are available they wouldn't really understand and accordingly credity you for that.
    I fully agree with the statement above from personal experience. During my MBA program in the US, I worked part-time at the admissions office and generally, the GMAT scores of foreign applicants were significantly higher than those of US applicants whereas their GPAs were often lower. In many countries, getting the top grade (equivalent to an 'A' in the US) at university level is harder and this is not always known or taken into account by admissions staff. Unless you did your undergrad at a world-class foreign university like Oxford or Cambridge, you will not score any bonus points on the application for your choice of university. Compensate for it in other areas; e.g. good GMAT, internships etc.

I'm not sure what your choices are. If you are asking us Stanford / Harvard / Yale vs. HKU, well then, ummm, oops. If it is is University of Illinois, Penn State, William and Mary vs. HKU, well, that is a bit more difficult, but I think many would value a US education even in the second tier of schools. If it is Cal State Fresno, or Eastern Illinois, or East Carolina University vs. HKU, well then there you have a bit more of a choice.

One thing I think I should note, made more because of your comment / plan to get an MBA and thinking 6/8/10 years ahead to that already is that you should really take a step back and think six/eight/ten months ahead for the time being. There is a very real chance that you are going to HATE Hong Kong and be on the next plane out. There is also a chance you may LOVE Hong Kong and never want to leave.

But as you go through the next year, remember it doesn't have to be "this way" or "that way." You have a lot more freedom than you probably have considered. You could do a year at HKU and then transfer to a US school and get your degree from the US institution. Maybe if you do really well in HK you could get into a Yale or Stanford, or maybe you'll end up loving HK and never want to leave. Just don't think that "I have to do this for this long" and then "I have to do that" and then you'll be an entrepreneur. The opportunities come a heck of lot faster and from out of left field than that. You could have a dinner or a lunch with a couple of guys from HKUST wanting do to a website that goes IPO in a couple years. You never know. Or you could go back to the US and get a degree, do the standard banking/finance thing and then go for the MBA.

I think one thing you need to realize is that every day, every month, every year doesn't have to follow a plan. I am an entrepreneur, I've started two companies (one dead, one with a high valuation) and I can tell you somedays I have no idea what the next hour will bring. I started one company with $36 in the bank, made $12,000 in Vegas the next week, and then closed $1.5 million in VC funding six months later. That one fell apart. From the pieces of that I've built another that is functioning and employing several people around the world, doing something I (or anyone else) hadn't even thought of three years ago. Graduation date for your MBA is approximately 8 years from now. Make a list of things that didn't exist 8 years ago and you'd probably be shocked.

I guess my point is that you have a lot of choices. Don't think there is a 'bad decision' in this case. Looking at my kid on the floor I'm reminded that there are two ways to play with Legos--build exactly what see on the box cover, or build exactly whatever it is you want. Most entrepreneurs are the latter....

Good luck with your choice.