Domestic Helper wants to leave

Domestic Helper wants to leave

My domestic helper is homesick and wants to leave. She is faking some illness(i know since she is perfectly OK to be out the whole of Sunday and when she is home the rest of week she lies in bed and does minimum work). She says that the medical facilities are no good here and hence wants to go back home.

Now, do I need to buy her a ticket to go back? She has worked for less than 6 months during which she went to India on a 2 month vacation!! Since she was already in HK when I employed her, I paid half of her ticket fare when she went home. The other half was paid by her previous employer. Is there a rule that says that if she has not completed 6 months of the contract, we don't have to pay her airfare back if she termintes the contract? She isn't giving me any notice as well and wants me to send her back as soon as possible.

Somebody help!!

it sounds to me like she wants you to break the contract, not her...

are there any differences between the two scenarios?

This handbook from the Labour Department should answer most of your questions...
    http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf

I guess if i terminate her then i need to give her a month's notice or payment in lieu and if she wants to leave then vice versa.
    I just find it so unfair to have to pay for her ticket 2nd time in less than 6 months!

ah sadly life isn't fair...

charge it to experience and move on. nothing much you can do I guess. although, that 2 month vacation thing was a good indication of what her intentions are i'd think.

CX's OneWay Labour fare HKG-MNL is only HK$950(+taxes) at the moment, so it isn't worth losing too much sleep over surely?

PDLM.

I don't think there are Labour fares to India.

Ooops - sorry. On looking again I don't know where she is going to (although I suppose it is unlikely that a Filipina would take a holiday in India...).

I guess the availability of cheap air fares is a factor to consider when hiring DHs of different nationalities...

CX has Labour fares to Philippines, Indonesia (from HK$1580+taxes OW) and sri Lanka (but only roundtrip). Not India, as you state correctly.

I know that this is a pain for you, but also look at it from her perspective (and I admit I am guessing here). She is obviously very unhappy and wants to go home. However, she probably does not have the money to go home having sent all she earns to her family. Any money she does spend on the fare will come out of money for her family who could well be short of essentials, like food for example.

If you terminate her contract without paying her fare she is going to be in serious trouble because she couldl then be staying in the country without a visa, probably ending up in prison.

You say she was in HK before, I assume working. What has changed to make her homesick now? Is it the change of employer or is there something going on with her family?

If I was in your position I would not be happy to put it mildly, but I would just accept it as things are going to be pretty unpleasant and you want your home to be a happy place.