Island Shangri-La Hotel

Island Shangri-La Hotel

Hi everyone,

I am taking my house hunting trip in June and booked my hotel at the Island Shangri-La Hotel in Hong Kong Island. Can someone provide me any feedback regarding this hotel b/c they advertise that they're consistently rated the number 1 hotel in HK and I'm not sure if they're touting themselves too much.

Since this is expensed by my company, I wanted to stay somewhere really nice. I also have the option of staying at Four Seasons... the pictures look nice so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, we wanted to stay close to shopping and night life..

Thanks for any remarks..

Look forward to joining all you fellow expats soon!

I stayed at the Island Shangri-La about four years ago and it was great! Have absolutely no complaints and service was excellent. Definitely one of the best hotels I've stayed at around the world. However, that was before the new Four Seasons was built. I think if I had the choice now, I'll say at the Four Seasons. It seems like there's a better view. But then again, how often will you be in your room?

They are both nice but Isl Shang is getting older and has a bit of the old dust in the rooms from the carpet I guess.

Both locations are brilliant. The Blue Bar at the Four Seasons is my favourite bar in HK. No loud live music unlike Lobbster Bar where the music is shockingly
    l oud.

Note that the view from the hotel rooms ate the Four Seasons is towards the north west (i.e. towards the shipping and lLantau Island if you can see that far). The rooms that look down over the inner harbour are actually the serviced apartments.

The Shangri-La is a fine hotel. Others in the same league (as well as the Four Seasons) are The Landmark Mandarin Oriental (also very new, but no views at all), The Ritz Carlton and, on Kowloon side, the Intercontinental and the Peninsula.

I'm currently living in the Island Shangri-La as a member of the new jazz trio in the Lobster Bar, and I can say that this is certainly the finest hotel I have ever stayed in. I also want to comment that the music our group plays is significantly less loud than the last group, which was a more R&B-styled group that used a laptop for loops and drum beats - we're more straight-ahead acoustic jazz. You should come and check us out one night, (not Sundays). I'm the piano player.

Thanks

Thanks Feio,

We'll stop by and check out your band. See you in HK.

My husband has a new job opportunity in HK and we have just returned about two months ago. We came back in March for a week and stayed in the Four Seasons Hotel and then in April we stayed the entire month in the Four Seasons Service Apt

I did not have a very good experience while I was there. I find it hard to believe because I have read some much of praises regarding the services in this hotel from other travellers.

BTW my husband is a European and I am not. I was treated differnetly whenever I was alone vs whenever I was together with my husband.

Makes me wonder if they have two standard of services - one for the 'whites' and one for the local-looking Asians.

I am not sensitive or demanding but I have had much better services in other hotels in HK.

For me, I believe there are lots of good hotel choices in HK (including Island Shangri-La). Four Seasons HK will definitely be off my list.

Solemn

It can be a solemn experience at the Shangri-La, that does not detract from the luxury, the views or the service, but if you want a homely cheery feel try a more lively hotel. BYe the way I did read a book Asias Finest Hotels that did just contradict that statement, but it goes to show it's all down to your own mood really.

Quote Originally Posted by esquire1113:
    Hi everyone,

I am taking my house hunting trip in June and booked my hotel at the Island Shangri-La Hotel in Hong Kong Island. Can someone provide me any feedback regarding this hotel b/c they advertise that they're consistently rated the number 1 hotel in HK and I'm not sure if they're touting themselves too much.

Since this is expensed by my company, I wanted to stay somewhere really nice. I also have the option of staying at Four Seasons... the pictures look nice so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, we wanted to stay close to shopping and night life..

Thanks for any remarks..

Look forward to joining all you fellow expats soon!

Makes me wonder if they have two standard of services - one for the 'whites' and one for the local-looking Asians.
    Now now... you mean to say you were not wearing six carat diamond rings and the requisite designer attire before you stepped into the haloed surroundings?

(Sorry . could not resist that .. )

rolders
    Quote Originally Posted by feio:
    I'm currently living in the Island Shangri-La as a member of the new jazz trio in the Lobster Bar, and I can say that this is certainly the finest hotel I have ever stayed in. I also want to comment that the music our group plays is significantly less loud than the last group, which was a more R&B-styled group that used a laptop for loops and drum beats - we're more straight-ahead acoustic jazz. You should come and check us out one night, (not Sundays). I'm the piano player.
    I'll vouch for Feio's band, listened to you guys a few times when I was staying there. Your singer is excellent.

The Island Shangri-La is probably the best hotel I've stayed in, definitely would recommend it and the rooms are far from tired. The view from the room I had was fantastic as well:

http://static.flickr.com/73/183245134_ba45073ac7_b.jpg
    http://static.flickr.com/53/179824288_007ed91a8a_b.jpg