Treating depression

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma:
    Why on earth would not recommend meds?
    Because some people don't want to end up popping 50 different pills every day for every real and imagined element of their life that is less than perfect, like certain hypochondriacs we could mention. The only people who really benefit from that overall are the people making/selling the pills. Many (not all, I accept, but many) times it is possible to have at least as great an effect as the pills by sorting out your diet or other aspects of your lifestyle. You may prefer to delegate sorting out your life to a collection of pills, but many people would prefer not.

I think meds are a good option for you situation. Especially nowadays the anti-depressants are very efficacious and experienced side effect are low if any. Although a chemical imbalance is not the total explanation for your depression, it can definiitely play a major part. I am not a doctor, but I do come from the pharmaceutical industry. In your case you might want to ask your doctor about taking an SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor). Without going into the science it basically causes your serotonin levels to rise. Serotonin effects your mood. Low levels of the stuff can make you feel sad, down in the dumps, lethargic, anti-social, loss of apetite, loss of interest in things you used to like. When you take an SSRI you will find that things that normally really tick you off or make sad will not have as much of a negative effect on you. The most common possible side effects are drowsiness, insomnia, decrease libido (more common in woman), inorgasmia, nausea. If you did get side effects they usually subside within two weeks.

The SSRI with the least amount of side effects is called Lexapro in the US. The scientific name is escitalopram oxalte. I am not sure what the brand name is called in HK.

However, if you are able to go to counseling you should give it a try. You might need help in gaining better coping skills.

hi

sorry that you are feeling depressed.
    Usually antidepressants are prescribed when there is sleep and apetite upset (eg weight loss and early morning wakening, aswell as depressed mood) but often its a grey area as to whether they will help, and a trial of medication might help with adequate follow up.
    Some people start by 'situational unhappiness' (which would not generally be helped by pills) and if this goes on a long time, it becomes a true depression.
    I certainly would not recommend self-medicating and in general, antidepressants are probably over-prescribed (they do not work for everybody)
    Hopefully you will have made an appointment to see someone about the various issues. I have no personal experience but know that St.Johns cathedral has a counselling service and, as with all consultations. this would be confidential.
    hope you get the support you need
    LA

matey, remember, you don't live to work, you work to live. I know this sometimes gets lost especially in a place like Hong Kong.

i always just take a step backwards and identify what's important in my life, everything else is just small stuff. More offen than not, "work" is classified nowhere near important!

best of luck, and don't sweat the small stuff!

Thank you all for your kind feedback. I am able to manage my mood by going for long walks and other diversions. The problem is that I'm no longer able to manage my time effectively and this is compounding my problems. I'm sleeping very irregularly and keep waking up much earlier than I'd like to in an anxious state. Sometime soon I need to make a clean break from my current situation and adjust to a healthier lifestyle. In the meantime I need to get over this hump.

Last edited by onthelake; 15-05-2006 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Because some people don't want to end up popping 50 different pills every day for every real and imagined element of their life that is less than perfect, like certain hypochondriacs we could mention. The only people who really benefit from that overall are the people making/selling the pills. Many (not all, I accept, but many) times it is possible to have at least as great an effect as the pills by sorting out your diet or other aspects of your lifestyle. You may prefer to delegate sorting out your life to a collection of pills, but many people would prefer not.
    Wow, 50 pils a day......sounds like you had a bad experience. It is usually one or two pills per day to treat most depression.

One of our line-managers was suffering from depression due to pressure at work. he couldnt live without those pills. one time i caught him taking a handpalm full of pills!! really scary. not 1 or 2 pills, but around 6 and 7 at least.....there was an occassion that he was out of pills and went sort of crazy paranoid as the doctor was on vacation and couldnt prescribe him the medicines. now he is afraid of suffering from alzheimer.

Depression? tsk!tsk!tsk!.. life's got lot's of challenges.. and I can say that you're such a very serious person in some aspect in life.. I am not a shrink..!!though
    Friend, get a life pull yourself together.. life is too short go out relax have fun.. trash those medications away, you'll get the bad habit taking it.. Go and relax in a nice quiet place.. or hey! this works! I took music lessons.. express your feelings in it.. it helps.. and it's so fun..
    divert your depression in something more usefull thing to do in life..don't waste your energy in it.. or you'll lose.
    Have fun and get thebest time of your life..
    take care..
    d

Hi! Chinese traditional medicine may help you get out from that. One of my friend had seen a doctor in a clinic attached to the department of Chinese traditonal medicine of the baptist University. Had been getting well after two month treatment. Talk to the doctor your feelings as well as your sleeping problems. No side effects of Chinese traditonal medicine.

Last edited by airay; 16-05-2006 at 06:24 AM.

hi

agree TCM can help, not least because the therapist spends time talking to you. Vitality centre is good (www.vitalitycenter.com.hk)
    Some depression runs in families and people can have a predisposition.
    That said, depression has its own 'lifespan' even if it is not treated -(they say 6 months)
    There are a lot of myths about depression and people have fearful ideas about it, aswell as about those who suffer from it.
    Some people think its just a self-indulgence, though in reality, most people would (of course) rather it lifted.
    You can see here, that many lay people react by saying 'pull yourself together' and advise not taking medication (they think its a sign of weakness,maybe) - we here, are not qualified to tell you whether you need treatment in the form of tablets, or not.
    This is why it is better to be seen and assessed in confidence by a professional and certainly at least 'off-load' to your GP.
    hope this helps
    LA