Da Vinci Code - The Book

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Da Vinci Code - The Book

Is there anyone out there who has NOT read the book?

On the eve of the motion picture descending on us, I have met a few people who have NOT read the book, but are being swept along by the hype.

Hence the question.

a sobering tale of someone who has read the book.....

I know a man who has been a pastor for 35 yrs. He, for some reason, decided to read the Da vinci code when the book came out. On Easter morning he got up, told his wife of 33 yrs, he didnt love her and never had, called his daughter some very bad names, went in front of his church and told them that he had been decieved by the bible, that this book "opened his eyes to the truth", used several curse words, and said from now on he would be teaching from that book.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:

I know a man who has been a pastor for 35 yrs. He, for some reason, decided to read the Da vinci code when the book came out. On Easter morning he got up, told his wife of 33 yrs, he didnt love her and never had, called his daughter some very bad names, went in front of his church and told them that he had been decieved by the bible, that this book "opened his eyes to the truth", used several curse words, and said from now on he would be teaching from that book.
    did he then spend the next 48 hours on the run cracking codes with a beautiful yet intelligent young lady, like in all dan brown's other tedious books?

Forrest Gump said it best...stupid is as stupid does.

Its fiction, but too many people lose sight of that fact.

What do you mean FICTION???

Are you suggesting that Robert Langdom didnt/doesn't exist? ....

That people don't die in fabuous positions on the floors of the world's finest musuems? ...

That Dr. Langdom didn't/doesn't run around unlocking mysteries with the decoder pen found in his box of lucky charms?....

That hot chicks are not attracted to investigative geeks?

How can this not be true....?

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    Forrest Gump said it best...stupid is as stupid does.

Its fiction, but too many people lose sight of that fact.

haha... well, take those with a pinch of salt. some are real some are false.
    but it does open ones eyes..
    that authority, when determined, can hide and change alot of facts in this world. what's real and what's false remain mysteries...

I admit, I've read the book. I couldn't put it down as Dan Brown does know how to keep the suspense going. However, after I finished it, I had no desire to read it again. I've read much better writing elsewhere, including thrillers. I guess I'm saying that the book didn't live up to the hype - it's a decent book, but not one I'd rave about. I think the hype is based more on the startling premise anyway.

(I did read the illustrated version from the library, and that version is indeed beautiful, if steep in price).

same with Harry Potter - I love the books, but I've read better fantasy, even children's fantasy - Diana Wynne Jones comes to mind.

btw, all of Dan Brown's books seem to follow a pattern: there's a mysterious murder, then our hero is woken in the middle of the night by a phone call, then he/she races around for a few days...

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

But what about the so-called "historical facts" in the book? Stuff regarding the 'religious conspiracy'?

I don't take it seriously. I've read other fiction that have "suggestions for further reading" and I take those more seriously in terms of history. I guess I came in with expectations of fiction, and I really don't care one way or the other about Mary Magdalene or what Jesus may or may not have done. I'm not very religious

Dan Brown and his books....,

I like to think of myself as well read and 'cultured' (arrogant, really). However, I read the Da Vinci Code because everyone else had read it. I found the first 2/3 of the book a very easy, gripping read. I thought the last 1/3 was an unspeakablemound of predictable bovine product.

However, I was really interested in the phenomenon that is 'Dan Brown' - he's like the J.K.Rowling for grown ups. I was also impressed by the background research that obviously goes into his books (much done by his wife I'm told). So, I'm ashamed to admit I read a couple of the others (Icebergs and computers in bunkers in Virginia swing into vision). Each book I thought was a great read for the first 2/3's then the last 1/3 was totally rubbish.

Dan Brown - he's like Peter Crouch, great on the build up, but he just can't finish !

>> illustrated version from the library

what is the book title ?

i have heard the Jesus history many many years ago, it is good to see that a friction bring it out to the mass

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast