What happens if helper breaks valuables?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What happens if helper breaks valuables?

is there a law indicating what's to be done when helpers break our valuables? of course it's not going to be intentionally done. but a friend of mine had her lawn mower broken by her helper.. are we able to ask them to pay for things they break? (of course I am not talking about things that naturally break here)

If there isn't, THERE SHOULD BE! Sounds like you are having a terrible run of luck at the moment. If its not geckos it is broken lawn mowers. Try not to let these things bring you down too much.

If you accidently drop you company laptop and break it do you expect to be asked to pay for a new one?

laptop

company laptops are almost always insured. so if your helper breaks your 4000 dehumidifier because of carelessness you eat it up?

Yes, either that or I buy insurance. I treat my employees as I would hope to be treated myself...

(And, by the way, no company that I have worked for has ever insured laptops. As with all insurance it's only a good idea if either you think you can somehow beat the odds or if you can't afford to pay for whatever it is you are insuring. If this wasn't the case, insurance companies would go bankrupt.)

Last edited by PDLM; 25-05-2006 at 11:42 AM.

I agree. Not much you can do for it .. what if your child breaks something? Would you take it out of his / her college fund.

Insurance companies do not cover accidental losses as far as I know .. they'll cover water, fire and burglary as far as I know. Would love to find a policy that has ... an "ooops I messed up.. wink wink nudge nudge" clause.

>> no company that I have worked for has ever insured laptops

Way too expensive to insure laptops. Not worth it in the long run..

oops

I think unless your helper is constantly breaking things or doing it on purpose i think u shud maybe breathe!!!
    It sounds like u r either having a run of bad luck or trying to find out a way of getting rid of ur staff!!
    If this is the case then let the woman go and find another job!
    Our staff over the years have broken things and though sometimes it got to me.. i sat back and thought i am sure it was an accident and lets be honest we have all broken things in our time... or were liars!
    I have worked for many large corporations and my laptops have never been insured so u have been lucky!

U shud maybe ask her what happened b4 condemning her to a life of drinking gecko pee and driving a broken lawnmower

Hate to buck the trend here but I have always insured my company laptops.

Dell offer insurance on laptops. I always take out the insurance.

Recently my daughter kindly dropped a cup of hot chocolate on my laptop. I think she had been on the gecko pee again!

I had the machine in pieces within minutes and hairdryered all the components but it was completely stuffed (I probably did more damage than good!). Dell picked up the bits, fixed it and returned it in about 5 days.

The cost of the insurance for 3 years Worldwide Cover was about 8% of the cost of the laptop. It is also covered for theft. Seemed like a good deal at the time and it has paid itself back on more than one occasion.

[QUOTE=HKNewBi]If there isn't, THERE SHOULD BE! [QUOTE]

Are you serious? These people earn miniscule money - their whole monthly salary might not even pay for a new one! You must be kidding, right?

The only punishment they can get is to get fired.

Last edited by coolgirl; 25-05-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast