mandarain at the Y in kowloon

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

mandarain at the Y in kowloon

I hear that the YWCA in Kowloon side provides Mandarin and Cantonese courses for a reasonable amount. Does anyone know the link?

The link between what and what? Mandarin and cantonese?

Did you mean YMCA college?

Here is the direct link to the Languages PDF:
    "Cantonese, Putonghua, Japanese & English Courses"

Here is the link if you couldn't open the PDF link:
    http://www.ymcahkcollege.edu.hk/
    Go into the website, under Course Information at the top, choose "Short Courses" for the Language courses

Contact info:
    YMCA College of Continuing Education
    6/F, 41 Salisbury Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
    Tel: 2268 7733 Fax : 2268 7797
    E-mail : [email protected]

Last edited by spork; 09-06-2006 at 06:06 AM.

anyone actually do a Mandarin class at the Y?
    Feedback please.

I'm looking at the options. This seems cheaper initially...
    I've checked through the other links but haven't seen any real feedback. Any other recommendations?

Not being employed at the mo, I don't want to splash out into the unknown.

We should have a deal for $78 / hour group (5-7 students) lessons from a well known language school.

Give me a couple of days to sort it out.

KIA
    cool, sounds good
    Let me know as soon as poss as I need to get cracking on it.
    I'm considering buying their text and skipping Level I and going on LII as they all don't start till mid Oct
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    We should have a deal for $78 / hour group (5-7 students) lessons from a well known language school.

Give me a couple of days to sort it out.
    Mandarin, Cantonese or both?

I enquired about the classes at the Y some time ago. They didn't have enough students for the intermediate-level class I wanted, so I asked them to contact me when they did...have not heard from them since. This is a common problem with learning Mandarin in Hong Kong. There are dozens of places offering beginners classes, but apparently most people give it up without advancing. As you progress, you'll find it harder and harder to find an appropriate class. Some places will just take your money and lump you in with other "intermediate" students at vastly different levels of proficiency. I used to study at a Executive Mandarin and left when I found that different people would drift in and out of the class from week to week. Worse still, the instructor changed several times during the "course". I also studied at HKLLC and was grouped with several people who should have remained at the beginner's level. If you want to learn Mandarin seriously, I suggest you find a place with regular courses at different levels, or form your own group of students and shop around for a good instructor.

KIA I'm interested too. But Mandarin or Cantonese? I prefer Mandarin. Let us know once things are finalised...

Mandarin Classes

Hi

I did the Putonghua Intensive I and II courses. Each course lasted for 5 weeks - 2 x 2 hours per week. The text used was Chinese for Today which is quite simple and has two CDs.

I can recommend the course. As with all courses, they depend so much on the instructor but we had a wonderful instructor who incidentally runs his own school in Central. His name is Kerry Chan.

I wanted to keep going - everyone had the text book and there were previous groups that had managed to organise this - but unfortunately as it was a day course many of the group had to start work or had other commitments. As someone said in a previous post, it's easy to find beginners courses, not so easy to progress from there.

I would love to get into another course or with start a course with another group. Evenings would be better for me now but I'd welcome hearing from anyone who is interested in maybe one evening per week @ 2.5 hours.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast