HK Social Structure: "To each his own..."?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

lol...I'm a hybrid and proud! woo hoo

Hybrid

I was wondering if the hybrid category would fit my background.

I'm Quarter Chinese, Quarter Jamaican and half Irish and born in England. But most of my friends are Asian and I have a girlfriend who is from China for the last two years so would say I am a mix of Asian / Western in cultural background.

Work wise I am relocating to HK in August to work for a tier one bank. I feel my background helps me fit into both Asian and Western working cultures e.g. asian and western having worked with China, HK, TKY, UK and US. This is actually one reason why the bank employed me cos I've got to do some globetrotting as part of the job.

Suggestions as to which category I fit into are welcome!!

Jonathan

I must say Chrome makes some astute observations about HK even though it may be stereo typical in nature and not inclusive enough to cover the whole spectrum.

I would love to read how he segments the GeoExpats -

Unclassified / Others

Quote Originally Posted by jdawson:

Jonathan
    Of course, it is not easy to find a system to fit 100% of the people. So perhaps it is time to add a category called "Unclassified/Others".

Quote Originally Posted by chrome:
    I have now been in HK for about 6 months and I have some additional observations I would like longtimers' opinion on. ( For previous contraversial post please see: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread8394.html )

The people that are living in Hong Kong seem to be divided into several groups that have very little, if any, interactions with each other on a social level. As I attempt to classify people into these groups, please dont be offended. These are my views based on my experiences. I will look at what type of people each group constitutes, their preferred way of life, and how they interact among each other. If you disagree with anything or can contribute with your own experiences, great! Let me know! If you know something I dont, great! Let me know!

The southeast asian crew: This group is subdivided into the nationalities of Philipines, Indonesia, and Thailand. These are mostly the ladies that work either as maids or 'working ladies'. They have extremely tight communities as they heavily depend on each other for friendship and support due their distance away from their actual families. Some Hong Kongnese even seem to regard them as inferior. Sundays seem to be their favorite day...

The indo-african crew: This group seems to be made up of largely indian laborers that have migrated to Hong Kong long time ago with british colonial activities. Many of them own or operate restaurants or have other low-paying jobs such as hotel bellboys, constuction workers, tailors,etc. Not sure if the africans belong here but they seem to hang out around same areas as indians in Tsim Sha Tsui, trying to sell you suits or watches...

The white-local crew: These are the whites that have been in Hong Kong for a long time, so long that they dont refer to themselves as expats. Many of these speak some cantonese and have established HK as their only home. Dont know much more about this group as I have not had any first hand interaction with them. I am guessing that quite a few make decent money though (i see them in the latest sports cars...)

The white-expat crew: These are your usual expats that drift through Hong Kong for a few years. Lots of brits, lots of french, any other nationality you can think of. They hang out with other expats, do their yoga, have a drink at the same bars on LKF, and go home to live on their Mid-levels flats / stanley homes.

The ABC / CBC crew: These are the American and Canadian born chinese that have found themselves to be living in hong kong. They usually act in very non-chinese ways and make sure to differentiate themselves from the local crowds. Few of them speak good cantonese and even fewer can write. They usually find other americans / canadians with which to spend their time.

The local local Hong Kongnese crew: Divided into different social classes, yet, sharing very common traits are the the local local Hong Kongnese. No matter how rich or poor, they have conciously chosen to exclusivey interact between each other. They have naturally grown very used to the foreign presence in Hong Kong and have lost all interest to have anything to do with them. Its not uncommon to see these not speak any english either( especially lower classes).

The not-so local Hong Kongnese crew: These are the people that have spent part of their lives living outside of hong kong (usually in canada, england, US, or australia). They are truly hong kongnese at heart, yet have a much more open-minded outlook on life compared to local locals. They have the potential and ability to interact with the greatest number of above mentioned groups as they can relate to most one way or the other.

With them being the connectors, I think there is great potential to bring the people living in Hong Kong closer together, resulting in greater prosperity, increased cultural and ethnic sensitivity, and intelectual & spiritual growth of the society as a whole.

Hong Kong is an overall good city to live in... but it can be better...
    :wave

100% agree with your analysis

I'm just wondering about what the point is to all this analysis.

Off-track post

Quote Originally Posted by howard_roark:
    I would love to read how he segments the GeoExpats -
    It can go like this:

-- the language-learners
    -- the quick-response seekers (just ask questions without researching first)
    -- the quick-response givers
    -- the subtle advertisers (not just of products, huh?!)
    -- the smart-alecks
    -- the off-track posters (in which I now belong, I think!)

Quote Originally Posted by jdawson:
    I was wondering if the hybrid category would fit my background.

I'm Quarter Chinese, Quarter Jamaican and half Irish and born in England. But most of my friends are Asian and I have a girlfriend who is from China for the last two years so would say I am a mix of Asian / Western in cultural background.

Jonathan
    Do you know what Tiger Woods call himself? Cablinasian, a portmanteau of Caucasian, Black, American-Indian, and Asian.

What is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by donabel_beltran:
    I'm just wondering about what the point is to all this analysis.
    I don't know what is the problem with the analysis. There's freedom of speech?!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ok... where would i fit in your categories...

1)white canadian female
    2)moved to HK 11 years ago out of uni
    3)didn't know a soul when i came, but came and worked a steady stream of jobs, met many peopel of all "classes"
    4)tried to learn cantonese(after 11 years, can get by reasonably well... not fluent)
    5)married a local chinese man (VERY local...ie grew up in gov't housing)
    6)have NEVER had a "high" paying job, but many satisfying jobs including owning 2 businesses on my own
    7)when in HK call canada home...
    8)when in canada call HK home....
    9)live in Discovery Bay
    10)have a son, born in HK with both English & Chinese names on all documents
    11) when married, did the whole Chinese ceremony thing with the party and all...

just curious how you would clasify me...

Wow! May I ask what brought you to HK initially? Did you just decide to move to the far east and liked it in HK and just ended up staying since?

I would love to move somewhere completely different and alien to the environment which I am used to but just don't have the adventure spirit to just pack up and get on a plane. You are cool

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast