HK Social Structure: "To each his own..."?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The indo-african crew
    Wasn't that a band from the 80's? They had that single?

Hey, VanSant doesnt know if you can categorise everyone like that.

But it's easy for all of us to make some classifications when we walk around - it's human nature.

When I see a guy wearing Havaiana flip flops and jeans and a short sleeved checked cowboy shirt drinking coffee in Starbucks in Lan Kwai Fong - I immediately think that hes a........

I forgot the name a give those people. Tourist?
    Last edited by Gregory VanSant; 11-06-2006 at 05:30 PM.

well, i was initially planning on going to taiwan to teach english.
    i finished my history/politics degree with a study tour of northern china. of course, you cannot fly directly from beijing to taiwan, so i decided on a week long holiday in HK...

once here, thought that i would kind of like to live here, so put out a few applications. i told everyone that i was planning on going to taiwan and if they were interested in hiring me, that they had to do it ASAP.

i was offered 3 jobs and decided to stay.

met my hubby here 3.5 years later...

i initially came with less than $1000 CAD on me... at that time it amounted to about $4400HKD... i don't know if i would be able to do it now, but then it sure seemed exciting!

You're definitely adventurous. It seems Canadians really have no problem living and working in China/HK/Taiwan...perhaps because it's almost like being at home

adventurous... or downright, crazy...hard to say.. it's a fine line (especially if you know me!)

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ok... where would i fit in your categories...

1)white canadian female
    2)moved to HK 11 years ago out of uni
    3)didn't know a soul when i came, but came and worked a steady stream of jobs, met many peopel of all "classes"
    4)tried to learn cantonese(after 11 years, can get by reasonably well... not fluent)
    5)married a local chinese man (VERY local...ie grew up in gov't housing)
    6)have NEVER had a "high" paying job, but many satisfying jobs including owning 2 businesses on my own
    7)when in HK call canada home...
    8)when in canada call HK home....
    9)live in Discovery Bay
    10)have a son, born in HK with both English & Chinese names on all documents
    11) when married, did the whole Chinese ceremony thing with the party and all...

just curious how you would clasify me...

Nice! Congratulations! You are one of the unclassifiable people! I am myself one of those. No such thing of course, but the more unique the background, the harder to put into a category which there are others like you.

Several other posts mentioning how they dont really fit in anywhere - thats fine. Thats normal. You are all unique, special in your own ways
    Dont let some stranger dude take you for granted!!

Quote Originally Posted by howard_roark:
    I must say Chrome makes some astute observations about HK even though it may be stereo typical in nature and not inclusive enough to cover the whole spectrum.

I would love to read how he segments the GeoExpats -
    Wouldnt dare... these observations are all about non- geoexpats!

Quote Originally Posted by donabel_beltran:
    I'm just wondering about what the point is to all this analysis.
    Aha! Good question. The point which not many people seemed to have picked up.

The reason I classified people is to be able to understand the different type of people that exist on this part of the earth. Their habits, their tendencies, what they do,how they interact within and outside their groups. Afterall, this is an environement I now live in. If you want to blame me, do so for wanting to be fully aware of where I call my home.

I know that different groups sticking together is normal, as is anywhere else in the world. I just want to know what those groups are about so that a 'hybrid' such as myself can act in a more culturally sensitive and 'customized' way to whoever I end up encountering. If not, might as well be an

I'd like to list my favourite movie quote, and ironically the most profound thing I have ever heard. From the movie Bulworth...

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep f#$^in' everybody 'til they're all the same color."

Quote Originally Posted by donabel_beltran:
    It can go like this:

-- the language-learners
    -- the quick-response seekers (just ask questions without researching first)
    -- the quick-response givers
    -- the subtle advertisers (not just of products, huh?!)
    -- the smart-alecks
    -- the off-track posters (in which I now belong, I think!)
    you forgot one catergory..

-- trolls

however, they don't appear in here often.

Quote Originally Posted by mustlovecats:
    you forgot one catergory..

-- trolls

however, they don't appear in here often.
    Oh, hey, now we got a classification for chrome!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast